Topic

Help needed – Utah without own car – possibilities??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help needed – Utah without own car – possibilities??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sabine Funk

@sabinefunk

Is anyone out there who has some experience with Utah?

I'll be backpacking in the Sierras this summer and now I'm thinking about spending some 10-14 days in Utah, going through some NPs (Zion, Monument, whatever comes up…)

So here comes my problem: I only have my pack, no car, not even a bike…
    As far as I can see, there are a few Greyhound stops in the bigger towns and then no public transport to/from the parks. Stuff like carpooling might be difficult…

Is there any way to avoid hitchhiking??
    Has anyone maybe done Utah without own transport before???

I appreciate any suggestions =)

Jun Bum Kim

@snvplayer

Did you check the National Park websites? They usually have good information on shuttles and transportation.
    Within Zion at least, I think they have decent transportation system set-up, and there are private shuttle vendors that you can check out..

Otherwise, your best bet will be sharing a ride with people you meet at the park and offer to pay gas.

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Locale: Arizona

Hot down in Zion in the height of summer. Have you thought about the Wasatch area? More similar to Sierras, but weather would be better and transportation to beautiful areas would be a lot easier.

Andrew Jennings
    BPL Member

@breaktheshoal

Locale: West of the Mississippi

Hey Sabine,

Not sure if you're interested (or if it would even work for our schedules), but I'm going to be going through Southern Utah in September for ~10 days and have room in the car for at least one passenger. At the moment I'm about to start a thru hike of the CT and have to return to CA for a friend's wedding over Labor Day Weekend. After that my schedule opens up for a bit before I have to get down to Texas by the beginning of October. I was thinking of hitting Zion, Arches, and the Grand Tetons before heading to the Lone Star State. Not sure if you would be interested in splitting gas, but I'm always up for having company.

PM me if you're interested (BTW, I start the CT on Wednesday so it might be a couple days before you hear from me).

-Andrew

Sabine Funk

@sabinefunk

Thanks guys for all the ideas =)

If anyone of you has questions about trip planning for Europe, specially the Alps, feel free to ask me!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools