Topic

The visor and bandana combo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The visor and bandana combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was wondering if people could suggest what visors they would use that have a good wide brim and where they have found bandanas that are a bit large so that they cover the ears and the back of the head well. Thank you.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I have at times gotten large, silk bandanas from Sierra Trading Post, although their stock comes and goes. Marked down to about $10 for a 32 x 32" or maybe 36 x 36".

There are some novelty visors that are simply cut from a sheet of soft, closed-cell foam – a circle offset in an elipse. A somewhat longer visor is nice when the sun is low and to shade more of your face if you're up for a simple DIY. Make a provision to run a light cord through it so you don't lose it in a gust of wind.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Here's another approach done with foam for the incredibly high price of $0.67 each:

http://www.consumercrafts.com/store/browse/catalog/kids-foamies-foam-visors-and-tiaras/1/40?sw=Visors&o=0&gclid=CISU2aPa_LACFSUbQgodaSSaSw

(Also available as a tiara!)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Can't help with the visor, but my typical headwear for the Sierra is a trucker cap and a standard paisly cotton bandana. The bandana goes under the hat in the hottest part of the day. Feels great if you wet it first…

I like the cotton bandana because it does double duty as my sun protection, dish rag/wash cloth/towel, is my largest bandage in case of emergency (yes, not too sterile, but if it needs a bandana to stop the bleeding germs are the least of my worries). You can pre-filter water through one if necessary also. I've also used the bandana in conjunction with a beanie as a balaclava (over the face).

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

I don't care much for hats as they all seem too hot and a bit of a faff. But there are times when you gotta have something. I've been using a Outdoor Research Radar visor that folds down the middle. I can take it off, flip the band up, fold it and stick it in my back pocket in about 5 seconds with one hand. Comes back out just as fast. Keeps the sun, wind and rain off and keeps poorly fitting hoods out of the eyes. A downside is they do make you look like a dork.

Paul Hood
    BPL Member

@sirisaac

Visor buff is an option to consider. I am testing one currently to see if it works for me. It has numerous configurations.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I use a white Headsweats Supervisor, thanks Andrew skurka! And half of an XXL white short sleeve capilene 1 shirt. I found the largest, cheapest one then cut the front and back panels out giving me two bandanas. The bandanas wouldn't last forever. It was looking a but threadbare after hiking the pct.

Since my hike I have hiked about 500 miles of the AT using the same setup in all seasons. I like it in this environment as well though I often pull the bandana when the tree cover is solid.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

The only thing about a cotton bandana is, it doesn't really block out all of the sun's rays. There are fabrics that are much better than cotton for sun protection. FWIW.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

this is my go to combo too. I had headsweats too but didnt like the non adjustable elastic band. I like a standard adjustable. salomon makes a nice light mesh visor.

i use a regular bandana. a nice silk one would prob feel nice but like others i use mine for other uses

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>> "I like the cotton bandana because it does double duty as my sun protection, dish rag/wash cloth/towel, is my largest bandage in case of emergency (yes, not too sterile, but if it needs a bandana to stop the bleeding germs are the least of my worries). You can pre-filter water through one if necessary also. I've also used the bandana in conjunction with a beanie as a balaclava (over the face)."

I'll second (or third) the standard cotton bandana for all the same reasons.

How big is your noggin? I've got a fat head, and I use a standard cotton bandana… It's the only cotton in my kit. $1 for your choice of colors/prints from Walmart. These are 22"x22" (probably 24"x24" when new), and if folded correctly, I can completely cover my head and ears, though pulling them down over the earlobes means it rides low on the eyes, and covering the ears at all means no sunglasses.

I've never got a sunburn on my head/scalp (or top of the ears if covered) when wearing a cotton bandana, so there's got to be SOME sun protection there.

Since each is of the smaller size, I usually pack two… Red one for kitchen, and one of a half dozen other colors for everything else (hat/dew rag, washcloth, bath towel, etc.), If I was carrying a larger one, I'd probably only pack one (30" square weighs more than twice as much).

On edit: Properly quoting previous post.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

but it sure isn't good at blocking sun. So if you don't have thick hair it could be a less than ideal setup.

I just use a 2 oz. OR baseball cap and a 1 oz. blue bandana and its always worked great. Surely helps against sun burn, no doubt. But you need to wear sunblock in combination with the bandana. -Its good for all the uses mentioned above as well (the bandana that is).

edited for clarity

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks for all of the input.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

There is a place online that sells larger bandanas. Not sure of the url though ; ).

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i rock the Headsweats Super Visor (bought at Road Runner brick and mortar for $9.00) and a Mike C inspired trimmed 99 cent bandana – used this system recently and it worked like a charm. i draped the bandana where i wanted it over my head and neck and then put the visor on and flipped the bandana down to expose the top of my melon.

i am sold on this – it's the same weight as my BPL Headsweats cap but is much cooler.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Unfortunately my head is much more sparse so I need the cover. Are there visors out there that cover the sides some. The ones I tried on today stopped at the sides of my glasses so it would not be much good if I am walking perpendicular to the sun.

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Locale: Southeastern USA

Coolibar has a new (women's) visor. With the crown zipped off it fits my head well and adjusts well with velcro. It offers wide wrap around coverage back to my ears. 4 1/2" of visor depth in the front. Lots of colors. Weight 2.4 oz with the crown removed. I use it with a Coolibar bandana.

I just got this a month or so ago and I'm very happy with it. It's the best visor by far I've ever had, and available in my preferred color of black. Comfortable terry cloth with foam headband. Someday I may try to remove the zipper to save a very little weight. I may try spraying the top of the visor with some waterproofing for wearing in the rain under my hood. In spite of the large wrap around it fits well under my cinched rain parka hood.

I tried a Headsweats "Supervisor" (1.8 oz) but it was too narrow, and had only 3" of visor depth.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I wonder if I could modify my Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat into something similar. Thanks.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Do the visors you all are using provide better face coverage than say a typical ball cap? I'm currently using the OR Sunrunner hat and I like it except that I notice the brim is somewhat short and doesn't cover my face very well. Just wondering if a visor provides more coverage. I tried the Sunday Afternoon hat on but couldn't stomach it. Also, when using the bandana with the visor are you covering the top of your head with the bandana (when its hot out)? Trying to get a visual of how this works.

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Locale: Southeastern USA

The bandana definitely covers the top of your head Jeff. Lay the bandana across the top of your head with one edge about even with the top of your forehead. Then put on the visor and adjust. Covers your ears and the back of the neck this way, as well as most importantly the top of your head. The amount of coverage from a visor depends on the visor. They are all a little different.

This system make the two parts multiuse. The visor can be used alone depending on conditions, or under a rain hood for rain protection. The bandana alone has lots of potential uses.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools