Topic

Patagonia Hoodini : Almost, but no cigar.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Hoodini : Almost, but no cigar.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Man, I thought, finally, they are going to make an earth tone Hoodini, but NOOOOOOOOOOO, they just had to ruin it with a fluorescent green zipper. http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-houdini-jacket-windbreaker?p=24140-0-943

Well, maybe I'm the only one who is bothered by such things. I can do without I guess.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

itll work the same … other than that it matters not on whit …

besides if enough people think its fugly, youll be able to get it on a patagucci sale ;)

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

It will work the same as what? It will work the same as one of their earth tone hoodini's without the flippant green zipper? Oh wait, they don't have any of those. So it will work the same as one of their other earth shattering, vomit inducing, visually polluting, Liberace inspired colored ones. Yeah, I'll pass.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

what people wear in the woods is their choice as long as they arent exposing themselves… a little zipper in a color you dont like much less worse than a certain BPL thread with out of shape BPLers hiking more or less naked in the woods …

its amazing how some BPLers get all worked up about the colors other people wear ;)

dont like it? … dont buy it …

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

ohhh you missed it hike naked day was June 20th

http://www.hikingnaked.com/

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

"Liberace inspired colored…"? A little insecure are we? :D

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"much less worse than a certain BPL thread with out of shape BPLers hiking more or less naked in the woods …

its amazing how some BPLers get all worked up about the colors other people wear ;)

dont like it? … dont buy it …"

There you go again generalizing the community here Eric. Whatever contribution you bring forth gets completely drowned in your a$$hole tendencies.

Can a man vent? He doesn't like the colors they offer, that's all, he said nothing about what "other" people choose to wear. , other than Liberace….but can you blame him?

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

That sounds like some good sound advice, there Eric. By the way, just how many Bears have you bred anyway and is there any sort of restrictions on that kind of behavior? Probably varies from state to state, huh. :)

Dave T

@davet

"dont like it? … dont buy it …"

umm… he doesn't like it, and he's not buying it.

time would be better spent posting links to stag parties hiking in pyjamas… oh wait.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I got my Hoodini in a dark slate blue. Although I would have preferred a tan, brown or muted forest green, it was okay. But the Nano Puff? Electric blue was the least offensive option I could find.

Yes, it has no bearing on function. Yes, day-glo yellow would help search & rescue find me. But given the choice, I go more muted for the sake of others' visual experience. And between two models, I lean towards the less spectacularly colored. But we're a small market compared to 20-something outdoor posers who wear it on city sidewalks to the cafe. They WANT people to know they spent $200 on a sweater.

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

colors in the Houdini line. It's nice, however, to see the msrp down to $99 ….. it used to be $125.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

vomit inducing, visually polluting … guess that there is a lot of "polluters" around …

let me get this straight … basically its a rant about a green zipper …

at least im not exposing myself physically to others (which is perfectly fine as long as its legal in yr area and all parties conesnt to it) … im just "polluting" yr vision with a green zipper ;)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

My Houdini is ALL black. And I even Sharpied out the Patagonia logo.

Hell, I've stopped even carrying other gear.

I just TAKE what I need from other hikers…usually ones that paid retail for their brightly colored clothing. It's just too easy.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

The current Platinum color of the Houdini is not to loud (IMO) but I much prefer my black Houdini shell over any of the colors offered now.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

> I just TAKE what I need from other hikers…usually ones that paid retail for their brightly colored clothing. It's just too easy.

Craig: +1

Seriously, though, I will cut things a little tighter on a well-traveled trail corridor. If I see someone going the other way with an EPIRB every 10 minutes, I'm less inclined to carry my own.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hates the Patagucci colors. Hasn't anyone ever heard of blending into the landscape with subdued colors (part of LNT–being considerate of other visitors) rather than sticking out like a sore thumb? Since my hiking buddy is a perpetually shedding blond dog, I prefer not to wear black, either. What ever happened to subdued dark greens, blues, browns, khaki (the only color that doesn't show my dog's hair)?

Montbell's colors are about as bad! I recently looked at their Tachyon anorak and disliked all the choices.

I have the same issue buying clothing for around town, especially women's clothing.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I usually buy last seasons clothes, and feel the same way when the only clothing piece left is an EXTRA SMALL, or neon green color. However, I did just buy some discounted Patagonia (I also got the Houdini in dark blue) and picked up the nanopuff in a bright teal color (Patagonia calls it Grecian Blue.)

When I look through my camping clothes, I see tons of black and dark green. I used to prefer those colors, and am still comfortable in them. However, I do not backpack alone, and when I am with others, I enjoy seeing their varied colors of clothing. It has become fun to me, and I do not mind seeing people off in the distance with rainbow colored clothes. So, I am definitely a color convert. Patagonia's bright blue jacket is the start of something great for me! hehe.

Clay, you can send me a PM when you are visiting the Sierras. I'll try to wear only earth tones for you. :)

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Recognize that most of this clothing is sewn by a secret and little known clan of underground gnomes known as Stitchers. The Stitchers have the same need and passion for sewing that, say, a Labrador Retriever has for swimming. Throw a little fabric into the cave and out pops finished goods. The cave is deep and dark and, in spite of their big clear bulging eyes (which look a bit like children's snow globes to me), the gnomes are quite color blind. This is not a problem as long as one waits patiently for all the green materials that went into the cave to come back out. Push them too much and you wind up getting things like green jackets with red zippers and vice versa.

I know this scenario may seem implausible to some but I find it somewhat more plausible (and much easier to embrace) than the concept that these unfortunate accidents were a conscious fashion choice.

Now get offa my lawn!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if you really want muted, then look for the Army issue Houdini- it's foliage/ranger green, it's a more robust fabric (and thus heavier)- it's part of their MARS (Military Advanced Regulator System)

I've got a black one, orange and a foliage one- I probably wear the orange one the most :D

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Clay…first quit your moaning:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Patagonia-Men-s-Houdini-Full-Zip-Jacket_10081934_10208_10000001_-1_?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GoogleBase-_-na-_-Patagonia-Men-s-Houdini-Full-Zip-Jacket&ad_id=GoogleBase

Dark blue and silver/grey (not sure how shiny though) and even on sale!

Second…I do feel your pain since I'm a bargain shopper before a fashionista:

Color-rific

I've been told though that there are certain electronic music scenes where people would spend ridiculous amounts of cash to look as "fly" as I do when I'm dirtbagging it outside the city 0_o

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

The first time I wore my Montbell wind parka, my wife asked if I was trying out for "Devo".

With regard to "a certain BPL thread with out of shape BPLers hiking more or less naked in the woods …" I might have posted this picture, but it wasn't really me. I promise.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I don't mind because I am much more visible to hunters.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I readily agree that everyone has different opinions and loyalties to different manufactureres, but I don't always get the vitrolic or venomouns comments about Patagonia on this site.

Every year, like most garments in their line, the Houdini is always avaialable in black as well as a variety of at least 4 or 5 other colors. I got mine last year in a dark indigo-blue color. The only color I've ever seen for any Patagonia garment that isn't readily found in nature is the Fuscia pink.

Also, I love a bargain and rarely pay full price for anything. Between this and other online vendors and the twice per year 30-50% off sale, there's no reason IMHO to carp about their prices. Also, I have Patagonia garments that I have literally had for more than 15 years, wear constantly and they show hardly any wear if any at all. The quality is definitely there. "Patagucci" I think not! You get what you pay for!!

For me, Patagonia rocks, especially with their business ethics and commitment to countless environmental and social justice causes since the founding of the company, long before U.S. companies received tax write-offs for theses types of charitible works.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Yes, you should be safer…as long as you don't run into one with a gauche tag.

Seriously, protest as I might its just whatever is on sale.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

You can try to find clothing geared towards military use. I sort of remember stumbling across the Arcteryx Squamish wind jacket in tan or green on a military/tactical clothing type web store.

Also check out Wild Things Gear. they've got a whole line of outdoor gear for the armed forces. I can't recall if you need a govt ID to purchase it, or if that just gets you some sort of discount.

I like different colored outerwear because it stands out in photographs. As beautiful as the scenery is sometimes, a picture just doesn't show it well without a human in it for scale. And bright clothing makes my friends and I visible (and uniquely identifiable) in pictures, which I find to be a good thing.

That being said I'm almost always in a white long sleeve and black shorts for whatever reason, unless conditions mandate a jacket of some sort.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools