Topic

2 new packs: DX40 panel loader and drybag hauler-ish pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2 new packs: DX40 panel loader and drybag hauler-ish pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

So the main goal of this first one was to nail the fit of a harness and be able to use different sized main pack bodies for different seasons or needs. This is the the third of this type of pack that I've made and have used this style pretty much exclusively for the past year and a half or so. This one's got a couple hundred miles or so on it, and I like it pretty well but I'm kinda desiring something a bit more simple for most trips. I think it was Eugene S in a recent thread who mentioned front pockets being a catch-all, and on a couple recent trips I've found myself putting pretty much just my quilt in the main body and stuffing everything else on the outside, which is kinda ridiculous. VX-07 for the whole thing except the bottoms which are DX40. The pics:sldkfjsdfasd

The hipbelt has split foam for my bony hips, and I used a piece of thin flexible plastic (one of those thin cutting boards) on the outside of the foam near where it is sewn to the back panel. The back panel is sewn through the plastic to eliminate any sagging. I wanted a thin dense foam for this but used what was in the garage.
    asdfsdasd

3d mesh comes over top of shoulder straps at neck to eliminate any chaffing. Not sure it's really necessary. Honestly I don't think I really like 3d mesh for shoulder straps. I usually find it a bit abrasive. I might try some straps with soft binding around the edges next time or maybe some other wicking stretchy material.
    fdafas

Harness has flat aluminum stays along the very edge. This was the first pack that I tried flat rather than tubular stays. Pros for flat: easier to make it comfortable against the back, you don't have a top piece so the back is a bit more "dynamic" for lack of a better word; cons: it's not quite as stiff (1/8" thick), although it does "bounce back" better than tubular stays, which seem to stay bent if they're flexed. Some 7075 would be ideal, but I can't find any 1/8" thickness. The harness is only about 5" wide at the bottom so wraps around very well.
    t

yu

The next pack I made for work, which is biology-related field work. Getting to things in a top-loading pack throughout the deay gets cumbersome and I wanted to be able to strap big awkwardly shaped tools, etc on the outside, hence the beavertail. Durability is a big priority since I'm 100% off-trail and often walking through some pretty hairy vegetation. The DX40 is awesome. After being used a bit it actually feels less stiff than other VX fabrics and the small increase in weight gets you a giant leap in durability. I've been using this one for a few weeks now and it's worked perfectly. There's velcro in that there lumbar pad for a hipbelt, which I plan on making some bottle holders for so it can be used on its own as a lumbar pack for when I have less to carry. Flat aluminum stays again here. I plan on seamsealing or taping it but honestly it's difficult to be motivated to worry about rain with a ytd precip total of 1.38" and sites I was working at last week currently on fire.

;

l

lll

p

o

Now I just gotta work some patina on that bright white.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Brendan,
    Very cool and well designed pack frame to accept dry bags and panel loader pack I really like both of them. You must have a commercial machine to sew through plastic and thick foam.
    Terry

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

nice looking packs. DX 40 is great

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I really like the panel loader. It looks like a great pack for its purpose.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I am hoping to take my MYOG to the next level this upcoming winter, and I already have a few packs drawn up in anticipation of being able to work on my sewing more. I think I'm going to be revisiting some of my designs based on your work here. These are some seriously excellent packs with clearly very excellent workmanship.

What amazes me continually about MYOG–and these only make it even more apparent–is how someone with a few good ideas tailored to their needs can easily outpace commercial producers on the design end with just a few simple tools.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

That drybag harness is quite awesome, very cool Brendan! Thanks for sharing your well used work.

Best part of the first pack? That single dedicated Nalgene holster! Nothing beats the simplicity of a wide mouthed Nalgene. My last trip I packed 2 platypus style bottles and regretted not bringing my nalgene, the weight savings were simply not worth it for me. Filling up small mouthed bottles in standing water can be a b!#$h.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Nice work, they look great.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Thanks all.

Terry, I used a Pfaff 138 industrial machine on both packs. At the same time I bought the 138 head, I found a great deal locally on a 145 with a table, which I originally bought just for the table with plans to sell the 145 head, but I never got around to selling it because the walking foot was so nice to have at times. I've been seriously considering selling both and just picking up a sailrite (been keeping my eyes out for a used one for a couple months) to simplify things.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Brendan,
    If you have the room keep both of the industrial sewing machine with the larger tables to work on. Your all set to sew anything you want or do repairs for people or manufacture your own packs.
    Terry

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools