Topic

Camping high in Colorado in summer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Camping high in Colorado in summer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James McIntosh

@jamesmc

Locale: Near Bass Strait

What are people's thoughts about camping above the timberline in Colorado during the monsoon season? I'm particularly wondering about the hazard from electrical storms in the afternoons off the ridges but still above the trees.

JamesMc

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Im a sissy and lightning gives me the wilies. If you're going to make camp below the ridgeline, just descend a little more and get into the trees.

I might be willing to reconsider that If I was camping in a valley between ridges, or if the site was grassy and surrounded by taller stuff.

Edit: where are you headed? Some places are much less lightning prone than others. Mt. Bross? Possibly OK….Longs Peak or Humboldt/Crestone/Carson? F@&$ no.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd be in the trees by late afternoon.

Be SURE to take a WPB parka (or a Packa)for the afternoon thunderstorms. I'd also recommend WPB rain pants.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How does a poncho fair in the Colorado high country during the summer monsoons? Can the winds be managed?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For protection against lightning, you could try a suit of chain mail. Steel is cheaper, but titanium is lighter. Just remember to ground yourself to the nearest tree.

–B.G.–

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

+1 with Daniel.

I got caught above treeline one early evening in the middle of a hellacious thunder and lightening storm and all I could think of as I was holding onto my trekking poles to stabilize my tent against the freight train winds and pounding hail stones, were the grommets and metal tips at the top! Luckily there were a smattering of trees and rocks around that were taller than me, but still….

I must say it was an impressive display of mother nature's power that was simultaneously beautiful and terrifying, but I kept hearing Elmer Fudd in my head singing "I'll kill da waa-bit, kill da waa-bit! Arise, Storm. North winds bwow! South winds bwow! Typhoons… Hurricanes… Earthquakes! Smog!
    Oh, whaa I have dun? Oh, whaa have I dun? I killed da waa-bit!"

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Here's a good read on lightning safety in the backcountry that can allow you to make the best choice given your particular situation: http://www.wec.ufl.edu/safety/BackcountryLightningSafety.pdf

There's no truly safe place to head to while backpacking, but supposedly the recommended precautions can cut your risk of injury in half.

James McIntosh

@jamesmc

Locale: Near Bass Strait

OK OK OK I'll camp in the trees, but not near a tall one.

Thanks for the link John.

James

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools