Topic

Gear List for camping in Mt. Rainier including overnighter at Camp Muir

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List for camping in Mt. Rainier including overnighter at Camp Muir

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jun Bum Kim

@snvplayer

Could someone review my gear list (clothing and sleeping only) for camping at Mt. Rainier?
    I am spending a night at Camp Muir.

Tent: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 (1 person tent)
    Base layer: light & medium top and bottom
    Pants: NF Paramount hiking pants (convertible), hardshell
    Top: light fleece and a hardshell
    Shoes: Merrell Moab waterproof low cut
    Gloves: NF runner's gloves and TNF Apex
    Neck fleece gaiter
    Fleece hat
    Socks: heavy wool socks
    Sleeping bag: North Face cat's meow 20F

I was told that it has snowed quite a bit, so I think I will need ankle gaiters..
    And, I am not sure if I will need a soft shell as another insulator or bring a parka for the trip to Camp Muir?

Could anyone suggest what I need or not need?

Thanks.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

This is a bit of an open-ended question. When are you going to be camping at Camp Muir?

We've had some pretty tough conditions as of late. The spring/summer melt out recently stalled due to cool, wet weather and we have a lot of snow above the 5,000 foot level generally in the Cascades.

Assuming that you are talking about climbing in July. I would say the following:

a) The weather at Mt. Rainier can be incredibly unpredictable
    b) The weather is usually the nicest in late July through early September in Washington
    c) That does not preclude the possibility of rain/wet/cold conditions in summer.
    d) The weather at Muir can vary accordingly. Summer snow happens. More likely you will get a rain storm. High winds can be an issue as well.
    e) I think the gear you showed is fine. Gaiters would be useful in areas as the snow is still fairly abundant. A warm jacket is always appreciated if the weather turns. But it can be balmy up there if the weather is good.

I would like to hear from more experienced mountaineers. I've spent a little time up the mountain, but only under the best weather conditions.

Dirk

Dave Ploessel
    Spectator

@mailesdad

What will you be using for a sleeping pad?

I'd recco a foam one like a z rest. I sleep cold, so when I camp on snow I usually bring 2 and double them up to insulate. Worth the weight IMPO, plus you can use them as sit pads to keep from getting a wet butt on breaks and around camp.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

for july/august i'd ditch the medium weight top and bottom. not familiar with the paramount pants, but if they have decent wind/water resistance i'd also ditch the hardshell pants. i would ditch the light fleece and replace it with something equivalent to a patagonia hooded micropuff. you will be happy to have a warm hooded jacket if the weather goes to s#!t. with a micropuff and a highly water resistant hooded windshirt, i'd ditch the hardshell jacket, but that's me. i'd switch out the apex gloves for a warmer pair or bring shells to go over them. gaiters are a must. If the weather is truly bad at muir you stand a good chance of getting spindrift in your tent, but it will be more of an annoyance than a big problem. figuring out your sleeping pad is important because you will be on snow unless you opt for the public shelter. don't forget to bring good sunglasses with side protection. goggles for just going to muir might be overkill. hiking poles will make your life going up and especially down much easier. and don't forget, a lot of gear decisions can be made in the parking lot at paradise when you get an idea of what the weather will be for the next day or two, with the understanding that a forcast for rainier is always suspect. don't forget to bring extra food and snacks for an extra day at muir if things happen to go south.

you want to go here: http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/camp-muir-route-with-get-your-bearings-map-oct11.pdf and print it to have in your pocket and use as needed.

this is also another good web site for weather: http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/rainier_report.html

and here: http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/

have fun and be safe.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools