Topic

Dang, my most expensive purchase in the last year is keeping me above 10 #s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Dang, my most expensive purchase in the last year is keeping me above 10 #s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Locale: Lost

First of all, here is my 3-season gear list for the AT. I am a section hiker and a warm sleeper. I am OK with this setup down to about 30 degrees or so, I think that is a reasonable definition of 3-season AT hiking.

Secondly, when I look at this list, it is painfully obvious that my pack (Exos 58) is massively oversized both in volume and weight for my gear. Basically, I made the mistake of upgrading the pack first, instead of upgrading / downsizing all of the bits that go into the pack, like all the BPL articles tell you to do. If your pack is 22% of your base weight, you have a problem.

I still am going to shed a tear when I have to pass the Exos along because I do love the suspension system. I was thinking about the shameless copy by z-packs that has an internal frame, but I guess just like it took me a while to move from tents to tarptents to tarps, I need to start moving towards a true frameless pack.

Mostly though beyond my dinosaur pack (that seemed cutting edge a year ago, starts to cry) what have I forgotten? Other ideas for shaving stuff? I still have a couple weeks before I hit the trail.

Oh, and expect to see an Exos 58, lightly used, on gear swap once the wise BPL folks steer me towards the right pack….

Thanks,

Tim

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aslf7keqzfJZdFZqRnlucWRhcUdzRmNTeXk3ODdSVXc

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I don't see a mat? I would get rid of the pack ASAP. Ditch the tyvek, (iPhone or camera), get a zpacks poncho/floor, that would save you 3 pounds.

Edit: only bring a 1oz beanie, and bringing convertible pants and running shorts is like…. I can't even think if a worse analogy….

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I think you left out the most important item… How much do you typically carry in food, water, and fuel?

IMO the total weight off all base gear (sans pack) + weight of consumables = the decision of what pack to buy.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I'm never going to claim to be a gear expert but here are some things I noticed looking over your list:

I'd add back in the needle, and include some dental floss. Floss works for thread and for teeth. I know you have duct tape but some things just don't tape well. Like torn pants. It's like 5-6 grams.
    SmartWool crew- I've recently converted to Darn Toughs. After 3 months I can already see they'll hold up better than SmartWools. Might save you some heartburn in the future with sock replacements.
    I'd ditch the 2nd set of boxers. If you need to wash the undies, just wear the running shorts and clean all your clothes.
    A beanie should weigh 1.0 – 1.25 ozs. not 4 oz.
    I'd add in a long sleeve shirt. Seems like you have a gap in temps from short sleeve shirt to NanoPuff. Also sun protection, and clothes to wear if washing your shirt is needed.
    *Anecdote: I once spilled my dinner all over my shirt on day 2 of a 7 day trip. I've never been so glad to have back-up clothes. Of course, I was young and had 3 'back-up' shirts in my pack, but that's a different story. Wearing a Mountain House stained shirt for a week sounds like no fun.
    You could probably leave the capilene bottoms. I carried a pair of synthetic legs for the whole season last year here in CO and never once put them on. If it's cold enough for leg insulation, I hike faster or get in bed.
    There's lots of discussion here about trekking poles that weigh half of what yours do. The best options seem to be the 16oz/pr. "Cascade Mountain Tech" Carbon Fiber poles found first at Costcos, also on Amazon for around $30; 14oz/pr. Helinox poles from Dept of goods for $50-ish; or heavily modding $12 (each) Walmart flick-lock poles down to 14 oz/pr by removing the rubber grip and extra pieces.

That's my 2-cents.

Tim Cleary

@hempstead

For good ideas. Still not sure which way to go pack-wise but you've given me plenty of else to tinker with / buy!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

get rid of tyvek, use polycryo or mylar space blanket groundsheet for ~2oz

I dont see anything wrong with your pack. It depends on how much food and water you will carry. You will save a maximum of about 10oz for another pack with stay/minimal frame,at a huge pricetag. My pack makes up about 30% of my base weight, but I plan to carry 5 days food and 2L water and need a decent pack. For an overnight trip or carrying 1-2 days food, you can get by with an unframed pack

gatorade bottles are heavy . lightwt water bottles are .75oz for 1L, 2L platy is 1.25oz for 2.5 L

ditch leatherman, just get a dermasafe knife at 0.3 oz.

1.5 oz is a lot of sunscreen, mine weighs 0.7 oz and I never use it.

repackage hand saniter in a smaller dropper bottle. Or ditch it. One drop of conc. soap does a better job than 5ml of hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer is for when there is no water available, which is not the case on trail most of time.

3oz is a lot for blister kit, my whole medical kit, bliseter, drugs , duct tape, weighs less than that.

2oz of ducttape is a lot. try 6 ft.

photon light instead of 2oz headlamp

get the Zpacks fleece beanie! O.9 oz and cozy soft. Only ~$12 also

ditch the camp shoes.

I copy my AWOL pages onto a larger 11×17 sheet, front and back so I dont destroy my guide. I have seen others do the same on the trail. Keep in ziplock in pocket.

You can find cheap poles at Sierra trading post, especially with 35% off coupon.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

If you like the exos suspension system why not just get an exos 46 or 36?

Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Exos smaller versions are just about as heavy too.

I am thinking of waiting until the thru season is over and picking up either a swift or gorilla. Volume wise you raise a good point- I should be fine at 40 liters or theabouts. Or maybe wait for Golite to be back in inventory.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools