Topic

Platypus bladder cap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Platypus bladder cap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Doug Parker

@buffaloskipper

Locale: Gulf Coast

I just purchased a 3L Platypus for my son for Philmont. He will be using it as a water supply when headed into a dry camp (2 on his trek). It weighs 4 oz with the hose cap/attachment, but he has no interest in the hose, and only wants to use it as a 3L container (weighs 1.7 oz empty). Where can I find a regular cap to fit this? Is it the same size as a 2L soda bottle cap?

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

You can probably get it from wherever you can get a Platypus reservoir. I use a cap for my 3L bladder some of the time. The soda bottle ones do not fit (they leak). Platypus sells a pack of two for $2-3.

It's silly because they ought to just be included, but it's only a couple of bucks. Not worth the time to complain, in my opinion.

EDIT: Here it is at REI just so you know what you're looking for. Listed at $2.95. http://www.rei.com/product/820772/platypus-platy-bottle-closure-cap-package-of-2

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Doug I would recommend getting the Platy push/pull top in is much more versatile than the plain cap- Here
    Or:
    http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-07043-Push-Pull-Cap/dp/B000J2J3X4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340903012&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Jason Klass did a neat attachment for it- Here
    Or
    http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/how-to-make-a-cap-keeper

You don't need to make the string that long or that thick.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

If you get the push-pull cap, be careful how you pack it. I had one get pulled open inside my daypack apparently from just being jostled inside the pack while hiking.

It's how I found out that my daypack is pretty darn waterproof and could be used as a water bucket in a pinch… :/

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

the caps from the large smart water bottles will fit. i've used them plenty of times with no leakage.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I always switch out my Platy push pull caps for small nalagene pill bottle caps that are stronger structurally wise and a prefect fit. You can get them at REI.
    Terry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools