Topic

What ultralight pack for my 11 year old daughter – one week village to village hiking in France (August)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What ultralight pack for my 11 year old daughter – one week village to village hiking in France (August)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lynn ellsworth

@worthlyn

I've been researching ultralight packs for her and am more confused than ever.
    She is 5'3" tall, weights 88 lbs, and torso length is 18-19". She is a a tall skinny string bean.
    Will not be carrying tent or food or sleeping bag. Weather is likely to be very hot with some chilly eves and occasional morning rain. She will be 7 nights on the trail, staying mostly in village refuges and small hotels. I have bought nothing yet.

I am assuming I can make the whole thing less than 10 lbs in weight, but I will have to do most of it mail order as all the NYC stores are out of everything light.

I welcome advise from anyone who will take the trouble to give it.

My own pack weighs 3.5 pounds. Am considering trading it in if I can't get my own weight to 15 or less, but I think I can as I trade in antiquated clothing for the whisper weight t-shirts and such. But really the issue is my daughter. I don't want to compress her spine and want this introduction to hiking to really make her want to keep doing it.

Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Locale: Lost

You have tons of options. You won't really have to carry much water, or food obviously. It sounds like her load will be just more or less her clothes and maybe rain protection and minor items.

Personally, I wouldn't bother spending $300 on an ultralight cuben fiber pack or something like that. You would have to buy it smaller than you could use and you have better options to shift weight (e.g., you just carry more).

I'd recommend some of the lighter options in the daypack category. One option might be those camel bak hydration packs, I know that my 10 year old thinks those are the most awesome invention ever. But I would probably just save the $100 and buy a $40 junior backpack like the REI tarn 18 or the Deuter Jr. pack, both are lightweight.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

You might want to consider the Osprey Talon 22. It weighs 1 lb, 12 oz, more than you need but it will be very comfortable for your daughter in the small size and she can use it again in the future on simple overnights, etc. Great pack and one I used for my 10 year old son last year. It's also just $100 and full of pockets to help your daughter organize her things like jacket, camera, water, snacks, etc.

Brett Ayer
    Spectator

@bfayer

Locale: Virginia

My son really likes his REI Stoke 29

http://www.rei.com/product/827115/rei-stoke-29-pack

1.5 pounds.

Chad Webster

@blaktee

Locale: Targhee National Forest

I would take a look at GoLite. They are affordable and super lite weight.

http://www.golite.com/packs-and-luggage/backcountry-ultralite

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

+1 on the GoLite packs.

My son's actually about the same size, 5'2" and not quite 90lb. He carried my old women's Jam2 on our last hike in the Grand Canyon with a little over 20lb.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

maybe look at an REI flash 30 pack.
    On sale at the REI outlet now for $50

Otherwise, I'd say a Jam35 is a pretty good option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools