Topic

Sleeping Bags – 2012 / Crew 1st aid kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Sleeping Bags – 2012 / Crew 1st aid kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Faver

@longhorndave

I have a nice sleeping bag I purchased at REI a few years back.

It's a 20 degree bag, and weighs a bit less than 3 pounds in its stuff sack.

I have been checking NOAA weather, which supposedly allows one to see
    a forecast for anywhere. According to NOAA, the highs at the top of Phillips
    have been in the mid 70s, and lows in the mid 50s. My bag would seem to be
    overkill.

We hit the trail on the 4th of July.

I am the crew medic, and I am carrying about 3.5 pounds of bulky supplies. I may
    lighten this up as well, but I have everything they put on my list when I did
    wilderness 1st aid. The 2 biggest items are the Sam Splint (a formable splint that
    you can cut with scissors) and a single instant ice pack. Other than that, it's just items on the list.

A big part of my concern is also bulk. My food/tent partner dropped just a couple of
    weeks ago due a motorcycle accident, so I am also hauling a 1-man tent and will be
    casting off (or giving to kids) the extra food. My pack is a 75 liter REI Crestrail. It weighs in at 41 pounds with 4 liter of water and and everything I plan to take to Philmont, other than food.

I am in good shape and can take it, but am concerned with space. Is 2012 just a warm year, or is NOAA lying to me?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

half the country is having multi day highs above 100f, unprecedented. It was 105 again today where I am, at 5000'. No, I wouldnt say NOAA was lying to you, its freaking hot.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

I have also been watching the NOAA site. The best and most accurate that I have seen has been the weather channel forecast for angle fire resort. The actual low this am was 42 degrees. The NOAA forecast was for a low of 55. The forecast for angle fire resort is a good mirror of the back country weather at philmont. dave

David Faver

@longhorndave

The Angelfire data looks more in line with what I might expect.

I think I will stick with the REI bag. I am not going to spend well over
    $100 to lose about a pound.

I'm sure the Ranger will go through the 1st aid bag and have suggestions as
    to what we might leave behind.

One nice thing is that most of the scouts on my trek are 17 and strong.
    I went in 2005 with a very young crew, and some of them really struggled.
    The 1st aid kit should be all I carry in terms of crew gear.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

"I am the crew medic, and I am carrying about 3.5 pounds of bulky supplies. I may
    lighten this up as well, but I have everything they put on my list when I did
    wilderness 1st aid."

I have taken those classes too! Just because you are the medic doesn't mean you have to carry all of the stuff. Spread it out amongst the kids. Also, do you really need a SAM Splint, rolls of tape, lots of gloves, on and on. I think we still just took what each kid wanted to take. Philmont scares people because they are out for 12 days. However, you really are never that far away from a staffed camp and help. I would certainly cut that weight down. Don't let your Ranger do it because they will probably let you take it all.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Most are not really out for 12 days at philmont. You do a couple of nights on trail, and spend the rest at staffed camps and activities locations. Usually no more than one night on trail at a time. Starting this yr most are now even re-supplied every 3 days.

Depends on choice of trek, but generally its not exactly difficult backpacking, and you really arent far from help ever. It is a safe, experience for the majority of people, in a controlled setting, with fun side activities (that are really the best part).

Its quite a bit different from taking on the JMT. Just sayin.

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

First, I’m surprised that your Crew Leader did not designate a Scout to be the Crew Medic. He is the one to carry the kit and to have “Sick Call” at least once a day to check for problems. You should be standing behind him offering guidance and tips and step in for serious issues. Philmont really is about the boys “doing” and the adults “advising”. Second, don't count on your Ranger to cut your pack weight. Most will just ask if you have a kit and check it off. The very few others may ask you to open it but they cannot comment on what you are taking, just what you may be missing. You are only out for a few days and never that far from help (4-6 miles and a jeep trail back) so you job is to stabilize your patient and wait for professional. That being said you will have multiple sets of hiking poles so do you really need a SAM splint? All of those gloves really needed? For minor cuts and abrasions your boys should be taking care of themselves and these are the most often found problem after blisters. Do you really need surgical shears? A small swiss army knife with scissors and tweezers will cut your weight. And why take dozens of band-aid strips? Each Scout should have 6-8 of these, alcohol prep pads and antibiotic cream as well as moleskin & Duck Tape. Duck Tape and pole sections make great splints (and a couple of Popsicle sticks for a finger).

Hope you have fun – we are stepping off on the July 16 – Trek#20 Good Luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools