Topic

Grizzlies in Southern Winds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Grizzlies in Southern Winds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Thought this was interesting. Grizzly caught on camera in the Dickinson Park area.

http://county10.com/2012/06/07/g-bruin-caught-on-trail-camera-may-21st/

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

A grizz was caught on a hunter's trail camera on the Middle Fork Popo Agie trail last June–confirmed by the WY Game & Fish folks. Per the article above, they have been confirmed in the Big Sandy area. I think you can assume grizz anywhere in the Winds!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

You mean they passed me by two years ago? :)
    Duane

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Um, OK…we are headed to the southern Winds in August (thanks to all your suggestions!) and while I have a fair amount of black bear experience…not so much with the Grizz…

We are bringing 2 dogs.

Do we do anything differently than we would have if we just thought black bears were the only "threat?"

There are 6 of us (plus the dogs), we plan on bringing a couple of bear spray cans, and we're currently discussing canisters vs ursacks vs hanging (but we'll be above the tree line for most of it…we're doing the Hailey Pass – Washakie Pass loop from Big Sandy).

So…bear thoughts??

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

It would be best to keep the appetizers as close to you as possible

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

My thoughts? Don't bring the dogs.

Griz are very different animals than black bears. Blackies are far more tolerant and far less aggressive. 99% of the time, a griz will run the other way at seeing you. However, the possibility for a dangerous encounter is greatly increased with griz. Black bear sows are known not to attack even when their cubs are being trapped for tracking purposes. Griz–not so much.

We don't need to get into the whole "Bear Danger !" discussion, but you are dealing with a very different animal. A dog would most likely exacerbate the situation exactly when it needs to be de-escalated.

Also, read Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by Steve Herrerro. He's a professor emeritus at the University of Calgary and spent a career researching bears and their behavior.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools