Topic

Tarping-How do you handle bugs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Tarping-How do you handle bugs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I have been using a tarp for several years, but, bugs at night have always been a headache. Especially on warmer summer nights, mosquitoes near wet areas can travel a ways to find you…sometimes as much as a quarter mile.

I have developed a layered defense against most bugs, averaging only one bite per 48 hour period, on average, even in black fly season. Usually while paddling, and during the day when they are most active. Deer flies are often nearly indefensible, but not out when there is no sun or very inactive.

1) Tarp – While primarily to protect me against rain/cold, it works fairly well as a barrier to bugs. However, they have a way of slipping under the edges and in any doorways you have setup.
    2) Permethrin – This will stop most bugs, but is especially helpfull on clothing. While not really a repellant, bugs avoid it, anyway. I believe that instinct tells them it will kill them. Read warnings and decide for yourself.
    3) DEET – On exposed skin, I use a drop or two and spread it around real good. Not Recommended, since it IS a carcinogen, but for many, a few times per year probably won't give you cancer. Read warnings and decide for yourself.
    4) Clothing – long johns or the like will deter most biting bugs. Mosquitoes can bite through this layer if you give them a little time. I do not soak bottoms, socks or underwear in permethrin.
    5) Sleeping Bag – Generally, a light sleeping bag is bug proof.
    6) A small piece of mesh over my head in warm weather. This deters biting insects, but mosquitoes can bite through a lot of fabrics. Again, treated with permethrin, it does a good job, even if it is just getting even…bloody things. A small tent like structure can be tied up to a loop in the tarp with a pebble.
    7) For very warm months, I bring a full mesh tent. This is a compromise between weight and utility. If I know I will be headed into wetter areas and nights will be warm, I bring it. This will also deter larger critters: spiders, scorpions, snakes, 'coons, etc. This is in place of the mesh piece over my head, which I often roll out of.

Durring the day, my long sleeved base layer top and hiking pants (both treated with permethrin) usually does the job well enough to avoid most bites. My hands often get washed clean, paddling. DEET needs to be reapplied fairly often (2-3 times per day)on canoe trips. My hat gets treated with permethrin, also. Then the brim gets a heavy coating of DEET. At night, the hat holds my pocket gear (knife, ID, glasses, etc) and placed near my head.

What do you use?

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

You pretty much have everything covered.

We use the same systems. Under tow, We use treated clothing with the exposed skin sprayed with DEET and we make sure the cuffs are tucked in. I added a tyvek floor to a mesh pyramid (treated with permethrin) to use under my tarp for the bad months.

The only thing that we add is that we burn pic coils to clear an area around you if you want to eat or socialize. We break them up into little pieces and position it to let the smoke loft around you or under a tarp to clear it. A two inch piece burns long enough for dinner. This is only used if it is really bad.

Permethrin is a godsend and we make our own dilution and spray our clothing before each trip.

Enjoy,

Dave

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Good Tip. I never used the coils…maybe I will try a couple. It seems like they would do at least as well as getting a small campfire going, probably much better.

I didn't forget about cigars/cigarettes, but most people don't smoke these days. They do chase off bugs pretty well. Especially on a portage when your hands are "tied up" with the canoe.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

When I first suggested using tarps to my wife she insisted on complete bug protection, i.e. bug net tents, so I made them along with the tarps. Now we take them unless we're sure there will be no bugs. They're a bit heavy but we don't care because they give complete protection.

Note that taking our 3-person tarp and net tent for just two of us on kayaking trips is a luxury. Finally, she recently insisted on perimeter bug netting on our very large pyramid tent, so I sewed about the longest netting perimeter you can imagine, about 18" wide by 45 feet!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

BTW, Bear Paw makes all sorts of excellent bug tents ( see http://www.bearpawwd.com )

I'm using a hammock with a built-in zippered bug net that is a joy. There's nothing like being zipped in and the bugs stuck outside :) Nyah nyah!

I use small amounts of DEET on hands, neck, ears and legs if I'm wearing shorts. I think permethrin is fine on loose outer clothing. It works great on a bandana just tied around my neck or as a "pirate hat".

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My main shelters have always been tarps. I don't own a net. And I don't put up the tarp unless it is going to rain, and usually there aren't any bugs out when it is raining. Perhaps the bugs are worse where you hike than where I hike, but seems people stress over bugs in the high Sierras this time of year, and I just ignore them.

A head net or DEET is adequate for me.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Thanks, all!

Yeah, I don't worry too much about bugs, but sometimes at night they are exceptionally annoying. Blackflies are very bad in spring, but, I seem to manage them OK. Sometimes the mosquitoes are bad enough to carry you away, though…even after a fresh application of DEET.

Thanks again!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I think we just do not like using DEET, although we carry it if there's a chance for bugs. Maybe this is why we always bring a net tent for our tarp. Also, we do a lot of hiking in the Adirondacks and White Mountains.

We also carry bug nets for our heads although we've rarely used them.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

My thanks to everyone. As I suspected, mostly I handle bugs about the best way available under a terp. I am off for 6 days doing a yoyo of the NFCT between Old Forge and Forked Lake. We plan to relax and enjow the sights and scenery. I have a new canoe for the trip but was wondering about all the bugs around Brown Tract Inlet and Tioga Point with my daughter. Thanks again!

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

We're hiking the JMT late Aug / early Sept. Are we likely to encounter mosquitos? I've hiked in the area before, but earlier in August, and we did sometimes have mosquitos, especially at lower elevations. Trying to decide if we need nets for our tarps.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

"We're hiking the JMT late Aug / early Sept. Are we likely to encounter mosquitos? I've hiked in the area before, but earlier in August, and we did sometimes have mosquitos, especially at lower elevations. Trying to decide if we need nets for our tarps."

Generally, the bloody biters don't maintain activity around 50F. If nights start getting warm you could have trouble with them, though. Watch the weather forcasts and average temps for the time you will be headed out.

We just got back last night and got two bites for the whole trip. Permethrin, DEET and reasonable skin cover seem to do the trick, OK.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Well, after many years of enforced tarping (B/C of lack of funds) as a callow youth I am now happily a tenter. My TT Moment keeps bugs out just fine.

Lessee, canopy, netting, floor = 28 oz. for a TT Moment.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools