Topic

Eddie Bauer Peak XV $148

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Eddie Bauer Peak XV $148

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Free shipping with code SUNFISH. Currently all sizes except medium in stock.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Clearance/Mens-Clearance-Overstock-Outlet/Outerwear–Jackets/index.cat

Eric Wheeler

@cactiguy

Locale: Oklahoma

In their OKC store I just saw the Microtherm Down vest and shirt for 50% off retail.. Vest came to $60 the shirt to $85. There was even a couple of smalls for less on the clearance racks $50 and $75. Best prices I've ever seen on those items.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I've been waiting for one of these for awhile. Boom!

Thanks for the heads up.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

The Nilas is quite a bit lighter than the Peak XV (22oz versus 34.6oz), due in part to a lighter shell fabric (15d versus 22d). Both have a fair amount of pockets, but I'd give the nod to the Nilas for having the more useful assortment of pockets for backcountry use (2 handwarmer + 2 interior water bottle pockets) compared to the Peak XV (2 handwarmer, 1 chest, 1 interior chest). Both combine 850FP down with baffled construction, but given the overall weights of each garment, I assume that the Peak XV has a greater fill weight and overall loft, and would be warmer as a result. I can't really say how much warmer because neither EB or MH provide total fill weight.

But if I had to guess (based on shell fabric weight, number of pockets/zippers), fill weight for the Nilas is probably close to 9oz, and the fill weight for the Peak XV is probably around 15oz.

Edit: I was wrong about fill weight for the Peak XV, apparently fill weight is close to 13oz, according to the following thread, that is (see eric chan's post):

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40893

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

The peak xv is more of an expedition grade parka. (Think alaska, rainier winter etc)

If you compare it to the Feathered Friends frontpoint, it compares quite well. The Peak XV is a fantastic jacket, especially at that price.

Simas Peciura

@pechius

Hey guys.

I've found a review on Amazon about this jacket which is saying that the first model had more down than the current does, so I started to wonder if it's true. I've found down fill weight mentioned few times on this forum and the number was 13oz. This is from posts in 2010, like this one:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40893

This is the amazon review:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R39IS4CDDYDQ1X/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0049C8YL2&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=1036592&store=apparel

These are the numbers for current model that I receiver from Eddie Bauer customer service:
    Size Small – 10.08 ounces

Size Medium – 10.5 ounces

Size Large – 11.07 ounces

Size X-Large – 11.7 ounces

I've read many wonderful reviews about this jacket, but if they reduce down, I don't think that is the same good jacket anymore.

Any comments? Maybe someone can clearly state that this jacket was 13oz in 2010?

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

The jacket design has definitely been updated since last year's version (most noticeably the heavier face fabric in high wear areas – ie, shoulders/forearms), and I can't say for sure that we had fill weight correct previously – your best bet for that information is still FA customer service (as that's where we would have procured fill weight info in the first place). So I'd try asking them about it directly. Or you could try PM'ing eric chan (as he was the one who provided the 13oz number in that Dec 2010 post).

Even if there is less down in the current model, it's still a nice jacket, just heavier/more durable and maybe not as warm as the older model (but still a very, very warm jacket).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools