Topic

Emigrant wilderness TR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Emigrant wilderness TR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

I headed out from the trailhead at Kennedy meadows at about 10:30 am on Fri, the 15th of June. Only a few cars at the trailhead parking lot. It was a hot steady climb up,up and up with great views of Relief reservoir and distant snow capped mountains. Late afternoon thunderhead clouds provided much needed shade for the last mile of the first days hike.stormclouds building I found a nice camp across the stream and enjoyed the sun vs storm clouds light show1st nights camp in lunch meadow
    It was a windy night. I met some fellow BPL members in a meadow just before Mosquito pass. They were looking for some other BPL members who they were supposed to meet up with. I told them I hadn't seen them and headed up the pass. It was a beautiful day ! The mosquitos were really bad, but I was prepared with my headnet and deet.at the top of Mosquito pass
    I made it to seldom visited Fraser lake high above the big Emigrant lake. What a view! On the way up to the lake ( no trail, just up) I saw a pair of bald eagles! I had a great evening soaking up the solitude and great views from my high perch.my camp at Fraser lake
    The next morning I headed back down to join the main trail and make my way up to Emigrant meadow lake. I stopped at pretty blackbird lake for a much needed ( and very cold ) swim. The mosquitos don't give you a chance to think about jumping in, once you've got your cloths off, ha ha. It was a beautiful hike up to the lake, past Middle emigrant lake where I stopped for lunch.
    I made it to Emigrant meadow lake in the afternoon. It's a windy lake and campsites are few and far between. I searched the whole lake for an hour before settling on a site near a small inflow creek way up above the lake.My campsite with a view I made camp and headed down to the lake for an hour or two of fishing. Wow ! This lake is windy with horrible camp sites and tons of mosquitos, but the flyfishing was great. I caught and released several big rainbows and brookies.One of the big rainbows I caught and released It was a great trip. I only saw a few people, the weather was great and I was prepared for the tons of mosquitos. I'll leave you with a view from my camp at Emigrant meadow lakemy view from camp in the morning

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Did you get in and out of Frazier Lakes going around the west end of Emigrant Lake?

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Hi Marc, I think I was the guy you talked to at the meadow before Mosquito pass. I asked you about your zpacks backpack. I made it to the inflow of Emigrant lake ( you were right, tons and tons of mosquitos, I can see why you guys left !) and slowly made my way up the left side, it's a good climb up and up.The last part, I followed the outflow up and over. I was really tired, great spot though!

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

I hiked in from the east end this time ( inflow of Emigrant lake) but last year I hiked in from the west end ( outflow of Emigrant lake)

kevin smith

@divr6347

i was there that weekend and was one of the people mark and his group were looking for jack and i left at 3-30 am friday to meet up with the others and hit the trail

we made it to the th parking lot about 10 am and were hiking by 11 the first climb

on the other side of the second wooden bridge was brutal on me and i had to stop at the top for a break and some food but i think the early start might have come into play too i was fine the rest of the trip but after hiking with jack to the cutoff for kennedy lake i could tell he was running out of steam 100 yds later he finally
    said im spent and need to eat something so we stopped for lunch and got to talk to the back country ranger who rolled up as we were lighting the stove she was cool
    and gave us some info on the area and where abouts we were after some food and
    a rest we were ready to keep going so we cought up to the rest of our group
    and hiked on towards relief resivoir and finally late in the afternoon settled on a nice campsite just above the far end of the resivoir i landed one trout in the evening on spinning gear which made for some tasty eating for the guys to try later that night the next morning i went down tothe resivoir and cought 4 more rainbows
    then went back to camp for breakfast we knew at that point that meeting up with marc and the others was not in the cards so we decided to hike to kennedy lake and camp close by other than the pack horses making a mess of the trails it was a beautiful hike and great company from the great folks from bpl
    i haven t posted my pics on the trip report thread but i should have them up in a day or two
    great area and good fishing made for a great trip

glad to hear your trip went good and good to know there were other bpl ers in the area that weekend

kevin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools