Topic

Advice Needed – Sewing Patches on Dyneema

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Advice Needed – Sewing Patches on Dyneema

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I want to sew some of my thru-hike patches onto the dyneema of some bags (GG Gorilla '12 , and ULA Circuit). Do you think that standard gutterman thread and a stock needle size from a Brother machine would be able to go through the patch and dyneema ? Thoughts ? Suggestions ? Just don't want to start and end up with a nasty mess of thread in my bag…..

ALSO – is there any better way to attach them (sticky tape, etc.) that wouldn't make me sew into the actual pack fabric ?

Thanks in advance guys and girls – you are the best !

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You could try to stick them on with Shoe Goo, but I am not sure that would work. Afaik, those fabrics have a fluoropolymer DWR coating, and getting stuff to stick to that is … generally not successful.
    Guterman? Yeah, but they might abrade off again. Nylon button thread, by hand?

Cheers

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

I've found that, for smaller projects that involve odd spaces and tough fabrics (which is what putting a patch on a pack is) that hand-sewing saves me a lot of heartache. It may not wind up looking quite as nice as a machine-sewn piece (at least, mine don't), but it's worth saving on the hassle of (possibly) having to seam rip and disassemble to get at the spot, figure out which tension is right for the multiple (thick!) layers of fabric, sew in an odd shape (circles are a pain for me), and then reassemble the seams.

Sit down with some nice music or a TV show that you don't really have to pay close attention to and get to it with a needle and thread. Won't take more than fifteen minutes or an half-hour if the patch is normal sized, even if you're as thumb-fingered as I am.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Appreciate the input ! I'll give it a go and see what happens !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools