Topic

Double Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Double Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Adam Thibault
    BPL Member

@apthibault

Project #2, double bivy for my wife and I to use in the tipi…Double Bivy
    I basically took the LytW8 design that's floating around and stretched it out for 2 people. The bottom is 1.1 silnylon and the top is 1.1 uncoated nylon. I used a #3 coil zipper and 1 oz no-see-um fro Bear Paw Wilderness Designs.
    My final dimensions:
    Widths:
    Head: 58”
    Chest: 62”
    Footbox: 52”
    Lengths:
    Top nylon strip: 9”
    Nanoseeum: 9”
    Body length: 75”
    Heights:
    Head: 6”
    Foot: 8”
    One thing I tried on this thing that worked well was terminating the zipper at each end with a strip of nylon. Probably a waste of time on a bivy but I want to terminate the seam on my next tipi like this (since that turned in to a debacle). First I sewed a tube out of ripstop making sure that no raw edges were showing, then I sewed the tube on to the end of the zipper. It makes a great zipper stop and it can be incorporated easily into seams. Here's a pic…Zipper Termination
    The dimensions are pretty roomy, the bivy fits us well with our golite quilts. I don't think I would make it any smaller because I like lots of room and don't mind a little extra weight but if someone wanted to I'm sure they could trim the dimensions quite a bit and still have it usable.Head
    Many thanks to the pioneers of the LytW8 design and John at Bear Paw for the materials and info!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools