Topic

Mt Hood the Everest of the West?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mt Hood the Everest of the West?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Lines.
    People with stars in their eyes. (as in not paying attention)
    Dangerous mtn.
    Everest obv is >8ooom, crazy weather, crowded.
    Hood has falling rock/ ice, evil falls left and right, crowds

Even "pros" fall every year. For an 11,000ft mountain…

I mean, that doctor a few years ago got knocked off by a falling basketball sized chunk of rock. What are the odds? All the surface of a mountain and it hit his three square feet…

They said the other day there were 100 permits given for the summit. I counted 30 on the big ol Pikers Peak slope and it seemed like it was a lot. I couldn't imagine 30 people on Hoods little route, and that's just the beginning.

Its just not appealing to me I guess.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Actually, Hood doesn't require a permit to climb. They only require a self-registering wilderness permit. The USFS does strongly suggest signing the climber's register before going, but it isn't required. The latest accident was someone who didn't sign the register and also did not carry an ice axe. However, the fatality a few days earlier was a highly experienced and well-equipped climber. Interesting, his friends from Portland Mountain Rescue were up there scattering his ashes when this latest accident happened.

It doesn't help that the local media persist in referring to these folks as "hikers," giving the impression that anyone who can hike can climb Mt. Hood.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools