Topic

Removing old seam sealer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Removing old seam sealer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

I received my new to me Rainbow yesterday. The previous owner used a urethane seam sealer and it's flaking off. What's the best way to get all of it off so I can re do it the right way?

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

You could try using mineral spirits (just like some use to thin seam sealer when applying) to re-dissolve it and then wipe it off. Just soak a rag or brush and start scrubbing. I have no idea whether this works or not.

I'm sure someone with actual experience will come along soon….so free bump :)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

For urathane, you could try Acetone or toluene. But be carfull about any fabric. Some of the polyester types will also disolve. Cotton and nylon appear to be immune to it as is PET.

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

I had a buddy here suggest that I just seam seal the inside of the tent. In the meantime, good thing the wife is out of town. I have it setup in the living room in free standing mode (very cool BTW) flaking off the old stuff by hand….

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Agree with your buddy, just seam the inside.

You could also apply bonding tape on the outside over the flaking off stuff and that could help a bit.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Urethane seam sealer oon a silnylon fabric? Yeah, that's going to peel!
    You could try a few strips of sticky tape: it might stick to the PU and pull it off. Let it bond for a few minutes first.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools