Topic

Attaching MSR Dromlite Bag to Sawyer Squeeze

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Attaching MSR Dromlite Bag to Sawyer Squeeze

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I have a trip coming up where there will be some base camping for a group of 6 people. I would like to use a MSR 6 liter Dromlite or a 10 liter Dromadary bag for the "dirty" water, flow through a Sawyer Squeeze water filter, and then continue into either another 6 or 10 liter "clean" water bag.

Anybody that has done this, I would appreciate knowing what kind of attachments- clamps, tubing, ect I will need to accomplish this outside of what comes stock with the above mentioned items.

Thanks.

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

http://www.rei.com/product/837889/sawyer-inline-adapter-water-filter-connections

Not familiar with the Dromlite bag; perhaps these Sawyer adapters may be useful.

Hilary Ohm

@highwaterfilters

Locale: NE Washington

Do you already have the bags?

Sawyer makes bag to bag systems. You can buy the Sawyer SP162 for as little as $82.Sawyer SP162 2L bag to bag water filter system

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Sawyer makes bag to bag systems. You can buy the Sawyer SP162 for as little as $82"

It might be wise to check the reviews for the Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter, pointed to by the second Gear Buyer link in OP's post, above. There sure were a lot of negative reviews, all having to do with either the squeeze bags or the sealing gasket in the bag-filter connector. They would sure make me think twice, were I inclined to use a filter.

Hilary Ohm

@highwaterfilters

Locale: NE Washington

Tom, thanks for pointing out that link. It does seem like there are some problems with some of the Squeeze bags. They are made of mylar and are very lightweight but apparently some of them have issues. You definitely need to use care.

The SP131 is currently my best selling filter and I sell lots of them. (My prices are hard to beat.) I have yet to have a return. They do provide 3 bags and you can also use it with a regular pop bottle. You can also get the adaptors to turn it into an inline filter.

But the bag to bag systems I am talking about are very different. They are much more rugged. I haven't heard any complaints about them. I'm sure they are out there though….

I have heard some complaints about Sawyer's customer service but I think they are improving. I've got a great rapport with them and they seem to take my concerns seriously.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" It does seem like there are some problems with some of the Squeeze bags. They are made of mylar and are very lightweight but apparently some of them have issues. You definitely need to use care."

It could well be a typical "early in the product life cycle" problem, which I'm relatively certain they will sort out in due time. If I were in the market, I would hold off until they had the bugs worked out, as indicated by a high level of user satisfaction, especially on such a critical piece of gear.

"I have heard some complaints about Sawyer's customer service but I think they are improving. I've got a great rapport with them and they seem to take my concerns seriously."

They have less leeway here. Poor customer service can rapidly put a company behind the 8 ball in the Internet age, as witness the uproar over Jet Boil's CS. The best companies know this, and are very proactive when it comes to taking care of customer complaints. Let's hope Sawyer figures this out pretty quickly.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

The attachments you need come with the Sawyer 3 way which is designed to be used as an inline filter on a hydration hose. It works just as well as a gravity filter if you connect a clean water bag at the other end instead of a bite valve. I use mine with a hydration hose and love it…just refill and go. If I need clean water for a drink mix I just remove my bite valve and squeeze the water through the end of the hose into my drink mix container. (I did not think about doing this until the Sawyer Squeeze version came out..duh) The attachment tips are a big improvement over the old way you connected an inline filter…cut your hose..install the filter in the middle by clamping the hose down on the in and out tips leaving you with a permanent hose/filter hookup. The new attachment tips go into your hose ends without clamps. These tips act as quick disconnect connections with the filter so you can remove the filter from the hose. This allows you to drain the water from your hose and air it out when not in use and makes it easier to store and transport. The quick disconnect tips are really there to accomodate the other 2 features of the Sawyer 3 way. It has an drinking straw that snaps on and also an attachment that slides over a faucet that allows you to filter tap water. Those accessories are designed for people who travel and they are included with the filter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools