Topic

Scraps the Pack/ FTZP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Scraps the Pack/ FTZP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I was looking around in my scraps box and found some large scraps of Grey 210 D Dyneema X Gridstop from thru hiker. I found a old project pack I made and hardly used so I cut it up in to useable scraps I could use for the Scraps the pack project.

I decided I want explore the FTZP aka:Flip Top Zip Top pack in a larger pack design with some new ideas of the design. The pack had to be made out of all Dyneema X Gridstop for bush bashing fun.

#1 To make the pack with less parts so it was stronger pack and less repeat sewing. So basically I wanted one piece of fabric back/bottom/front sling with just the side piece sewed on each side for a stronger pack with less load bearing seams. I sewed on a patch of fabric were the bottom of the pack is going to be on the one piece fabric sling to make a double bottom of the fabric and also attach the shove it pocket. I also have large internal zippered pocket for small items at the front of the pack body.A virtual internal frame pocket at the the back of the pack to use my 1 3/4 inch thick Montbell 120 pad folded for the virtual fame.

#2 Make my own version of detachable military shoulder straps with 3/4" webbing attachment points, Like the Jandd cloud shoulder straps I like. The reason I like the detachable shoulder strap Idea is they can be removed for flight and traveling or if the become worn out you can just replace the shoulder straps easily.

#3 A larger pack that was about 30 to 36 liter pack with adjustable front stuff it pocket that is part of the compression system. The measurements of the pack are sides 6.5" wide, back/bottom/ front 11" wide,18" tall with the lid folded down 25" with the flip top extended for over fill.
    The pack comes comes out at 27 liter in the main body when the flip top is folded down for compression. When overloaded the flip top extended will hold a additional 8 liters so you get 35 liters total for inside that pack not including the front shove it pocket or side water bottle pockets.

#4 Hardware I used the ITW/Nexus Jet series buckles, Detachable hip belt that is just part of keeping the pack stable verse taking weigh of your shoulders held on with 3/4" triglides .
    Line lock 3 for the side/shove it pocket compression adjustment and black sterling cord,
    The flip top is one cord management buckle attached with a hypalon patch on top of the flip top lid and a hypalon patch with eyelet grommet to hide the knotted end of the shock cord tie down. Number 5 water proof zipper for the lid closer.

I can fit everything in the pack for a couple days trip with this pack it light weight and easy to carry and comfortable.I also really had fun with the Scraps the Pack project.

Thanks,
    Terry

Enjoy the photos of the pack:

Front
    Scraps the pack front

Side
    scrap the pack side

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

Terry, very nice pack. I like your simple no nonsense designs and enjoy your posts. I was wondering if you could possibly post some basic dimensions and pic of your jand cloud nine type homemade straps and the size for reference. _small/medium/large and such. I have large shoulders and have been experimenting with various shoulder strap shapes. I haven't quite found one that fits the bill yet.
    Thanks
    Joel

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Nice looking pack Terry!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Thanks for the comments about the pack. The removable adjustable Jandd cloud shoulder straps are 3 inches wide and 17 inches long with the curve. They are held on to the pack with 1" webbing at the top and triglide, The shoulder straps are adjustable at the top because of length of the webbing at the top of the strap and the triglide you tread the webbing trough on the shoulder straps and the looplock on the pack.

So basically you have a full adjustable torso length by adjusting the length of the shoulder straps attached to the looplock.

This type of system was used on old military ALICE pack to adjust the shoulder strap length and torso.

Photo of the back of the Nomad ruck that show how the shoulder straps attach.

Nomad Ruck back

I made my own shoulder straps for Scraps the pack project with the same dimension as the Jandd cloud shoulder strap system but instead of 1" webbing I used 3/4" webbing and 3/4" triglide at the top and ladder lock at the bottom.

I have been trying to load the back photo of the Scraps the Pack since yesterday. I don't know if the BPL servers are slow or if BPL put a limit on the amount of photos you can up load on the site.

So here's a link to the Jandd Cloud shoulder straps to give give you idea of how the straps look not attached to the packs.
    Or you can order some straps from Jandd if you want to skip the part of making your own straps, Just sew 1" loop locks on your pack the distance between the shoulder mounting looplocks on the pack is 5" .
    http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FC9

Terry

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Nice pack Terry

I like your designs – keep it simple and adjustable. No crazy seams and a simpler closure – good ideas. I like how you incorporate the better designs of other packs into something tailored to your needs.

Makes me want to sew up a smaller daypack.

Keep thinkin'

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools