Topic

Point and shoot camera for backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Point and shoot camera for backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

Hey all-

I'm looking to take a step up from the camera in my iphone! I see these agro-styled "waterproof, shockproof" type camera's around and wonder if this is the tree I should be barking up? Or is this a chance for the manufacturer to really cheap out on the internals? I like the idea of not having to baby the thing in the outdoors.

Ideally: I would be spending less than $300 (<$200?), have the option to use easy batteries (AA or AAA) beyond the proprietary rechargeable, and it will not be the heaviest thing ever. I understand tradeoffs are a part of the process…

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I was looking at cameras last month and very, very few use regular batteries anymore. I think Canon still makes a few of the Powershot A-series that use AAs. After scouring online a couple days, I decided to stick with my battered A520, which is still gamely trucking along. There is a photography-specific forum further down the page. You'll probably get better informed advice there.

Khader Ahmad

@337guanacos

Locale: Pirineos, Sierra de la Demanda

Two rules on camera purchases:

Never spend more than 150$ (buy New Old Stock)
    Never spend less than 3000$

Cameras/systems between those prices are a waste of money.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

I use a General Electric W1200. With 2 AA batteries it weighs 5.7 ounces. With Energizer lithium batteries I can get about 275 shots. The quality of your photos is reasonably good for an inexpensive camera and once you learn how to use the functions you can get much better photos. I paid about $100.00 for mine but I see the price has come down significantly… http://www.amazon.com/GE-12MP-Digital-Camera/dp/B002UZAFSK

You can view some of the photos Ive taken with this camera here http://www.panoramio.com/user/4886838?comment_page=1&photo_page=1

All the photos taken with the W1200 are tagged w1200

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools