Topic

looking for an UL backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) looking for an UL backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i foolishly missed out on teh REI Flash deal that was happening in the spring. i am heading out this weekend for three days of fun in Dolly Sods and after putting everything into my McHale SARC Chasm i realized that i need a summer pack. i went to REI to see what they had, the Flash 30 isn't long enough, it was not very comfortable.

the McHale worksheet has my torso length as 24.5 inches, so i need something that is going to fit and not feel like it's too small.

David Ure

@familyguy

The Granite Gear Vapor Daypack in Large should fit. I normally wear a large in most standard packs but this one was too long in the torso.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My solution is a McHale Bump. However, I am fairly certain getting one will take more than 3 days ;-)

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i'm not looking to score this in three days, rather my packing has made me realize i could shed 2+ pounds without much effort. i'm ALMOST an UL backpacker ;)

another McHale pack for a few weekends a year is overkill. just need something for the occasional summer weekend trip. the MLD Burn was one that i was made aware of, looks interesting.

Mark Montag

@mmontag

It may not be considered ultra-light but the Deuter Act-Zero 50+15 is weighting in at 3.25 lbs – it has a removable top pocket to further reduce weight if you can do without the pocket. Fantastic suspension and fully adjustable shoulder harness. The women's 45+15 has a slim (SL) harness – there is a men's harnesses available to retro-fit that pack as an accessory.

You can sometimes find the Act-Zero 60+10 – 2010 model – weights in at 3 lbs – non-removable top pocket.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools