Topic

Ohm / Ohm 2.0 – Long Term Durability?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ohm / Ohm 2.0 – Long Term Durability?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I am looking more closely at the Ohm packs, but I notice that they use less of the Dyneema on this pack compared to ULA's others. How is the long-term durability of the pack? The design looks excellent, but I worry about the 1.9 oz ripstop (I'm assuming 70D PU?) lasting for the long-term.

I live in NW Montana, and I do most of my hiking in Glacier National Park. I'm also planning on getting in to the Bob Marshall a lot this summer, hiking mostly on trail but more off-trail as I get my hiking legs back. The vast majority of my trips are in the 2-4 day range, but I would like to occasionally push that further. My base weight (with an Ohm) will be around 9.5 lbs.

Brian Phillips
    BPL Member

@fleab

Locale: The Flat Lands

I can't speak for the 2.0 but I have the original model and find it to be plenty durable although it is a piece of ultralight gear thus requiring some degree of care. My only durability concern has not been with the fabric but with the suspension hoop getting snagged on something and breaking while bush whacking however if I remember correctly the new design has the hoop completely inside the pack so this wouldn't be an issue.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've been using a regular Ohm for the past ~2 years. It's my most commonly used pack with maybe 75 days of hiking and a few dozen winter alpine touring cabin trips on it. I do quite a bit of bushwacking with it. I used it in the Bob for 100+ miles of hiking last month.

My experience with the durability has been very good. I've put a few cuts (ie. 1/4-1/2") in the stretchy mesh pocket on the back which is the weakest area of the pack. There's one or two tiny holes in the 210D dyneema (1/4" max) and one fairly small cut in the 70D collar. I think the bulk of the damage comes from winter use (tree skiing, carrying skis, ice axes etc).

I know Chris Wallace(??) (BPL Staffer) has said they compression system eyelets can fail over time. Mine show zero damage to date but I figured I'd mention it.

I personally love the compression system, love the large side pockets, find the shoulder straps awesome and I am happy using this pack to 35 lbs (and I've started trips at 40-45 lbs). I wish the rear pocket stretchy mesh was a bit more durable but that's it. Great pack.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Thanks Dan. Seeing that you took it on the Bob Open (excellent trip report, by the way), made me take a second look at the Ohm. Glad to hear that it is holding up so well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My experience with the durability has been very good."

+1 over 3 years of use, on trail and off.

"I know Chris Wallace(??) (BPL Staffer) has said they compression system eyelets can fail over time."

I've had one top eyelet pop off, but it hasn't really affected my ability to compress the load, partly because I very rarely completely fill the main compartment of the pack.

"I personally love the compression system, love the large side pockets, find the shoulder straps awesome and I am happy using this pack to 35 lbs (and I've started trips at 40-45 lbs). I wish the rear pocket stretchy mesh was a bit more durable but that's it. Great pack."

Ahain, +1 to all of the above, only up to 30#. Gettin' old, I guess. A truly great little pack, IME. The only minor issue I have had is that the short hipbelt wings can be uncomfortable up over 25# as the day wears on, requiring a bit of fussing to get them right, but that could be due to my bony hips. One further minor gripe is that the hipbelt pockets are frustratingly small, but not sure they could be much bigger given the stubby hipbelt wings. Call it a design limitation, I guess.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

mine is durable enough. I have the older 1.0 with smaller belt.

The stretchy material for the rear pocket is not real durable, snags easy, gets holes

Dont drag it thru briars or across rocks and it will be fine

Dont put anything with sharp edge inside, it WILL cut the silnylon panels

It is great for what it is. Packed LOOSELY, I like mine up to 20 lbs. I really like the way it just conforms to my back.

Above 20 lbs, I would just rather take my Circuit and "suffer" the extra 11 oz.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Dont put anything with sharp edge inside, it WILL cut the silnylon panels"

I have an first run Ohm. It does not have silnylon anywhere. Do new versions?

I pack my Ohm with way to much enthusiasm. It is tight as a drum when I'm done. It still has a lot of miles left in it.

And yes, sharp edges, especially against a rock will cut most nylon.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

the black fabric is 1.9 nylon, it is probably PU coated, not sil

It is still fairly fragile stuff when abrasion or pointy things is concerned.

I wrap my cookpot in a bandana to make sure the handle parts on the pot which have edges wont cut into it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools