Topic

The Winds out of Elkhart–Highline Trail or down to Titcomb basin?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning The Winds out of Elkhart–Highline Trail or down to Titcomb basin?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ben F

@tekhna

So I've been thinking of doing the Sky Pilot loop out of Elkhart, so basically this route, http://www.ouachitamaps.com/picture_library/WindRiver/Wind%20River%20Sky%20Pilot%20Map.jpg but I've been looking at photos of the Titcomb basin, and it looks gorgeous. But I had heard it's pretty crowded. I'm going next week, so I imagine the crowds will be a bit less. Any suggestions? There are so many options in the Winds and they all seem beautiful, I'm sure I'll end up happy with whatever I do!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Titcomb Basin and the Cirque of the Towers are two of those "must see" places like the Grand Canyon–even though crowded. My idea would be to get there, take a quick look around and camp elsewhere well off-trail. It's only a couple miles' sidetrip off the Highline Trail, so not that far out of your way.

Scott Smith

@trailrider

You're going to love this hike. From the web-cam in Pinedale WY, it looks like there may be some left over snow in the Winds. http://www.pinedalewyoming.com/webcam/pinedalewebcam.htm. Should keep the trail traffic down. Have fun.

Ben F

@tekhna

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like Titcomb it is for a day trip. Scott, thanks for the webcam, that's curious–it's been in the 80s there during the day (in Pinedale anyway) and when I called The Great Outdoors Shop for snow advice they seemed to be saying they hadn't seen much at 10,000 feet in while… wonder what I'm going to find on the trails and if I'm packing properly. Although those peaks are probably at 13,000.

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

I'll see you there! We're headed up the same way with large crew, although we're headed for Indian Basin and over to Cook Lakes. We hit the trail from Elkhart on Saturday evening. Can't wait!

Ben F

@tekhna

Very cool, Mark! Maybe I'll see you guys there. I'll probably be at Elkhart campground Saturday night, on the trail Sunday. Heard anything about bugs, or still too cold?

Ben F

@tekhna

Also, would you guys recommend a rain jacket or a wind shirt? I'd rather carry the wind shirt, obviously.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Are you talking about for the whole trip if so then Rain Jacket

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You can expect a few thundershowers every afternoon, usually accompanied by high winds, torrential rain, hail, even snow. They don't last long but it rains hard while it's happening! It's a good idea to get an early morning start so you're off high, exposed places by 1 pm. Definitely you need that rain jacket. You may also wish for rain pants if it snows, which can happen any time. In August 2010, Titcomb Basin got a foot of snow, two weekends in a row!

I take both wind shirt and rain jacket. The wind shirt is not only great when it's windy (obviously) but not cold, but is also a great light wrap in mild weather at rest stops or in camp in the early evening. It also keeps the mosquitoes and biting flies off. If you try to wear your rain jacket for these purposes, you'll roast!

I still hope that I can get back there in September, if this !@#$%^&*! plantar fasciitis ever goes away! Getting better, but definitely not gone yet.

Ben F

@tekhna

Wonderful advice, thanks Mary! Good luck with the plantar fasciitis, hope to see you on the trail.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools