Topic

Help me decide: Caldera Cone option for UL Alcohol Stove Setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me decide: Caldera Cone option for UL Alcohol Stove Setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I currently, typically, use a Snow Peak 700 and gigapower stove for all of my UL BP trips. I have an SP 450 that fits in the 700 and, at a cost of heavier weight, like being able to have my beverage and meal together at times. That said, I recently purchased a Zelph Super Venom that I anticipate enjoying for lighter weight shorter and/or longer trips. I have the SP windscreen (heavy) but want to get a cone for the Zelph that will fit with my Evernew .9 liter low pot. Ideally, the cone would work with either the SP or Zelph. Also, can I get just the cone sans stove, fuel bottle etc. I'd so, from whom. TIA.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Ideally, the cone would work with either the SP or Zelph"

You want a cone to work with a SP Gigapower canister stove?

Am I missing something here?

"Also, can I get just the cone sans stove, fuel bottle etc. I'f so, from whom."

Trail Designs has a Cone for either of those pots. But not necessarily one that will work well with something other than a TD stove. The two are integral units. Stove height and Flame height are the unknowns with other stoves, and how they work will be a matter of trial and error.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Optimal height makes sense. I have an SP windscreen, but thought if a cone works with it, it would do a better job I focusing the heat. I guess it really is a system, but I am not sure that a similar design won't serve other stoves well. Guess its time to experiment with either dollars or aluminum flashin materials. Thanks.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

IMO, this is the ultimate way to do a cone. Custom cone + silicone band + Zelph starlyte stove with the right pot. You gotta see the link to understand. Super simple, light, easy to use, packable, durable and efficient.

The whole thread (4 pages) is an interesting read, but the really good setup starts middle of page 2.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57721&startat=20

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"Optimal height makes sense. I have an SP windscreen, but thought if a cone works with it, it would do a better job focusing the heat."

Yeah, right up to the point that it becomes a bomb…

You don't want all that heat around a fuel canister.

I have a few Trail Designs Caldera systems. They work great with the stove they are made for and come with.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Brian –

I said above –
    "You want a cone to work with a SP Gigapower canister stove?
    Am I missing something here?"

Ray E. is making the same point.

You do know that fully enclosing a canister and pot with a wind screen is an accident waiting to happen, Right? The canister gets hot, over-pressurizes the fuel, more fuel, more heat, more fuel, more heat, Boom!

Right?

Please tell us we are misunderstanding how you intend to use a cone and canister…

There are number of threads for making a windscreen for the burner and pot.
    One of them can be found Here.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

I want a cone that will work primarily with an alcohol stove that's not of the TD variety. I think I could get one that fits snug on my Evernew .9L and breathes, but blocks wind with my SP 700. The main question – albeit poorly worded – is whether I can buy only the cone. I am (a) not an idiot, and (b) I have used LOTS of BP stoves. From sterno stoves as a kid (light for their day) to the mini stove and whisperlites in the 80's and 90's, and, nowadays, the giga power and a variety of alcohol stows since (cat can, beer can, trangia (none of which were very satisfactory)).

My general rule is – be able to touch the canister and hold on to it indefinitely at all times. My plan would not get any hotter than this and will work. I think I will make my own cone, though, if only the TD system is available. I want one that will fit in my .9ltr. low Evernew pot anyway.

Oh, and Dan Durston, thanks or the link. I should follow your lead. Your thread turned me on to Zelph and I am excited about the results. The cone question will be easy enough I answer, have you made your own yet? I am going to either buy or make one that cuddles my Evernew – if no supports it altogether – and works as a screen.

I read the thread linked to above when the OP posed the question. Cringe-worthy stuff. Definitely not me. Thanks for all the parental guidance, though. Forums of any sort are a funny place to hang. Big mix of knowledge abounds. Good advice and bad, field practitioners and "academics."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools