Topic

Snow Peak Gigapower Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snow Peak Gigapower Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I just bought a Snow Peak Gigapower Stove. The instructions say not to use any fuel cannisters but Snow Peak. Is there any problem using the MSR cannisters from my Pocket Rocket?

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

When I purchased my Gigapower stove I was told by the sales associate at the store that MSR canisters would work with Snow Peak stoves. I have never used any canisters besides the Snow Peak brand because they have always been the cheapest ones I can find.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You can use either SP's own brand, or MSR, or Jetboil fuel canisters with your SP Gigapower stove with absolutely no problems whatsoever. However, as mentioned above, SP brand is the cheapest — even though there's no perceptible difference between it and the other two brands. Jetboil — the most expensive of the three — is supposedly made by the same manufacturer as SP — just branded differently on the outside — that is, if I remember reading correctly. Others who know might want to chime in.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

This is my empirical observation from owning and using a SnowPeak giapower stove and an MSR pocket rocket. You COULD use any canister of course; but I used the cheapest canisters I could find, and after several hours of use (not continuous), the valve on my gigapower started creeping open. In other words, if I left it on the lowest setting to simmer, it would creep open over a span of a couple minutes to about half open.
    The store I bought the stove from would not allow me to return or exchange it because I "used non Snowpeak fuel". So I wrote to Snowpeak USA and they allowed me to exchange it through the mail. This took about 1 1/2 months.
    My Snowpeak lantern exibits the same valve effect (I consider it a design flaw).
    I honestly do not know what the difference in fuel is; but I dont hear much about other peoples valves creeping open; maybe it was cruddy fuel I got here in Japan? ..Just a couple other people on web reviews mentioned it. They solved the problem by rebuilding the valve using the kit you can buy from Snowpeak.

My MSR pocket rocket uses any cheap fuel with no such effects; it is heavier than the SP GP, but I consider it actually a better stove which has never let me down.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Brett wrote above, "The store I bought the stove from would not allow me to return or exchange it because I "used non Snowpeak fuel."

Don't ask, don't tell. And with retailers like REI, they wouldn't even ask in the first place! Luckily, SP brand fuel canisters happen to be the cheapest and just the right size for my needs. But if something equally good or better shows up for a lower price, I wouldn't hesitate to switch.

I have zero respect for manufacturers who use scare tactics to steer people to use their own-brand supplies — or worse, who would use the excuse as Brett described above to dodge responsibility for a totally unrelated defect! Not good. :(

Curious, Brett, the store that you bought this from — is it here in the US or local in Japan? I'm glad that at least SP USA honored the warranty — even though it meant jumping additional hoops for you.

Brett .

@brett1234

Too bad they dont sell Montbell goods. :(

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Maybe old timers can add to this (and apologies in advance for going off topic — although I think we have answered Denis' question).

REI did carry MontBell products some years ago! I believe right about the time when MontBell retreated completely from the US, REI had a grand "close out" sale — which I missed, of course.

MontBell has returned to the US for about 4 years now (maybe longer) — but REI has yet to carry a single MB product!

I vaguely (very vaguely) recall something to the effect that MontBell's earlier withdrawal involved a bankruptcy of sorts. I wonder if there's 'bad blood' between these two companies???

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"I vaguely (very vaguely) recall something to the effect that MontBell's earlier withdrawal involved a bankruptcy of sorts. I wonder if there's 'bad blood' between these two companies???"

I think the key is that the two are not "companies" to each other so much as "competitors" now. I've asked about whether REI carried gear from Montbell and the response was based moreso on marketing than any thing else. Montbell views REI (and I supsect vice versa) as a competitor, particularly since REI has made tremendous inroads in the last decade to build a brand that produces gear that rivals big name competitors. Look at the quality of REI's new lightweight raingear, the Quarterdome Tent, the increased durability of their new lightweight pack line, and so on. In the past REI was a company that carried big name gear with a few OK-quality-but-heavy house items bearing the REI label. This has changed, at least in relation to other brands like The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Sierra Designs, even Gregory Packs (at least in terms of weight, if not comfort).

While compared to the superhigh quality per weight of the cottage industries, REI comes up short, but REI is not realistically competing with this market. To carry Montbell goods would be equivalent (in terms of marketing, not quality) to carrying EMS or LL Bean items within the store. It simply isn't going to happen. It might also be remembered that REI opened a major store in Tokyo in the 1990's. It is the only store which has gone under in the chain's history to my knowledge. Different habits for different cultures. But don't expect to see Montbell in REI. I've actually heard Montbell referred to as "Japan's REI".

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Ben, Brett, Stuart and Shawn,

Thanks for your input. I bought the stove at REI yesterday. I was looking for the "horizontal" burner type described in the latest cannister stove CO BPL article. I have a Pocket Rocket and have used it once with the Evernew 1.3l and Titan 2.0l pots. Both took lots longer than advertised to boil water. I was concerned with CO generation and thought I'd experiment with the Snow Peak. I need to boil lots more liters before deciding which stove to keep.

I backpacked this weekend using my new Evolution 2P and my new Caldera Stove. It rained and the tent worked great. (More about that in a later review) The Caldera didn't work very well at all. I think it was because I was using 2 year old fuel. I've got to do more testing in cold wet conditions with new fuel.

Thanks again for all your input. This site is the one of the greatest things to happen for all backpacking, ultralight and otherwise.

-Denis

Evolution 2P at Sky Camp 2-23-07
    Evolution 2P at Sky Camp, Point Reyes, 2-23-07

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

" It might also be remembered that REI opened a major store in Tokyo in the 1990's. It is the only store which has gone under in the chain's history to my knowledge. Different habits for different cultures. But don't expect to see Montbell in REI. I've actually heard Montbell referred to as "Japan's REI"."

I think that REI may actually have had a couple of big stores in Tokyo, but the one near my house didn't close until maybe 4 years ago – Mont Bell took the site over and they actually had a lot of REI-branded gear in there for a while. LL Bean had a big store in Shinjuku that closed ages ago but they still have at least one remaining store in Tokyo.

Brett .

@brett1234

It was in Grandberry mall, Machida, and the REI sign is still on the outside of the building. First time I saw it I about jumped out of my skin thinking there was an REI here! Damn shame there is not; because it would make ordering and occasionally returning products easier. Currently I have things forwarded across the Pacific Ocean at great expense.(but still cheaper than buying locally)

Sounds like I would have spent a lot of time hanging out there..
    "Interactive features include an indoor 45-foot-tall rock climbing pinnacle, a 400-foot-long outdoor mountain bike test trail, a footwear test trail, hands-on test areas for backpacking water filters and stoves, a Starbucks Coffee store, kids' play area and a club meeting room… a working fireplace in the store serves as a place for outdoors people to gather, share stories and plan their next adventures."
    was REI is Montbell
    :(

Don Montierth
    BPL Member

@chumango

Locale: East TN

Snowpeak canisters are made in Japan. Jetboil canisters are made in Korea. MSR and Brunton are also made in Korea (the same company makes MSR and Brunton). All of these are mixes of isobutane and propane.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"I think that REI may actually have had a couple of big stores in Tokyo, but the one near my house didn't close until maybe 4 years ago."

That sounds about right. The decision to close REI Tokyo came down in June 2001, the same month I began working for REI. It probably took several months to phase everything out and actually shut down, probably sometime in 2002.

Brett .

@brett1234

April 19th 2000 to June 2001. You think they would have given it more of a chance to succeed. Based on my work with Japanese companies it takes them at least a year to trust you at all, and consider serious business. I think building a reputation with the Japanese consumers would have taken at least as long.
    But there are exceptions, the first CrispyCreme in Japan just opened in Shinjuku(Tokyo), and I have been unable to get a darn donut there because they have set up those movie-theater style barricades outside the door, and the line is at least hundred people long (I'm not exaggerating), from before they open to the time they close. Too bad REI couldn't get that kind of loyalty here.

Denis, its great to see your new tent in action. Looks like it was beautiful weather there in California. Lets not tell anyone what a nice place it is too live!

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Hi Brett

"Sounds like I would have spent a lot of time hanging out there..
    "Interactive features include an indoor 45-foot-tall rock climbing pinnacle, .."

The last time I was there they did still have the climbing wall and it was being used … the Mont Bell store in Shibuya (opposite Tokyu Hands) also has a climbing wall, and there's always been people on it when I visit so it's not just for decoration or image.

Brett .

@brett1234

Damian, yes, been up that wall.. I only made it about 90% to the crux move, then couldn't get past it. :( The Yokohama location also has a climbing wall but its been closed recently (the wall not the store).

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

NOTICE:
    Last night I thought I'd do a test boil with my new Snow Peak Gigapower Stove and attempted to attach it to an MSR cannister. It wouldn't form a good seal. I tightened it down pretty hard and it still leaked. 'Bout froze my fingers. Guess I'll be fallin' by REI (Corte Madera) to get some Snow Peak fuel for this puppy, after work.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

This afternoon I stopped and picked up Snow Peak Cannisters. The REI clerk had my dividend in the computer and I used some to pay for the fuel. Just now I tried the SP cannister with my new SP Gigapower. They work great with no leaks.

The answer to my original question: "Will MSR fuel cannisters work on the Snow Peak Gigapower?" NO! The stove gasket collar won't form a seal on the MSR cannisters.

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

That's strange. REI told me when I bought the stove there that it is completely compatible with MSR & coleman canister thread configuration. I have used both types, as well as snow peak canisters, all without any problems whatsoever for a couple of years.

Brett .

@brett1234

Denis,
    More info for you..
    "theoretically every brand of screw-threaded canister fuel must work on any brand of screw-threaded stove./ ..there are small differences..in the threaded fittings on different brands of stoves and canisters."

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/canister_stove_faq.html

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Cat, When I tried to screw the Snow Peak stove onto the cannister it seemed that the stove's "fuel tube" (that which depresses the cannister's valve) opened the valve before the stove gasket was fully seated on the cannister's rim. At that point the stove resisted further tightening and I couldn't screw the stove enough to fully engage the gasket. There was fuel spraying, and freezing, my hands. I tried with two different MSR cannisters before giving up. The stove goes onto the Snow Peak cannisters just as well as the Pocket Rocket fits the MSR cannisters. A visual inspection of the two cannisters (SP and MSR) didn't indicate any significant difference.

Brett, So I would have expected.

greg degler

@gregdegler

Locale: West

hello DH,
    I currently own 4 or 5 various stoves of various designs and like all of them.
    the SnowPeak Gigapower Titaneum is one of them and it is a favorite, it's just like yours but with Titaneum Tidbits used in place of steel. I've use numerous brands of fuel cannisters w/ it and have not once had a problem, even w/ the $1.99 Coleman's from Walmart. EXCEPT, one time I suffered a "mild" emergency. It was way back in the backcountry and discovered the stove was leaking fuel where it screws in. Short Story: O-ring in bottom of Gigapower can fail. Some cannisters will not allow you to screw stove all the way down, DON'T force it tight (as in TIGHT) as this will distort o-ring and cause leak and possibly injure the 0-ring permanently. Just screw it down enough to create a good seal and don't worry if it doesn't screw down all the way, "a seal is a seal". I now always have a spare 0-ring taped to inside of plastic stove case. You can get good 0-rings at good hardware store, they don't have to be Official Snowpeak issue.
    ALSO, if you don't have the Snowpeak "stove reflector" (small stainless steel "pan" that sits on top of burner) GET IT as this greatly improves function. You can make a very light one from aluminum (see articles in BPL) that will work well, but it will not last very long (varies with material of course). I use both options.

Maintain,

g. Kent Degler

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Greg,

Thanks for the input. I know enough not to try to tighten the stove a little more than finger tight. I've been using a Pocket Rocket for a few months. I think I'll return the stove to REI and exchange it for a new stove. I'll take both Snow Peak and MSR cannisters with me and test the fitting before leaving the store. I'll be in Berkeley the hear Kurt Elling tomorrow night.`I'll get it taken care of before we have dinner.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Will Rietveld had some problems using non Snow Peak canisters, specifically Coleman canisters.

His problems are described in the Stove Section (scoll down) here:

http://swultralight.home.bresnan.net/Gear_Lists.htm#Comments%20on%20Selected%20Gear

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I stopped in the Berkeley REI and exchanged my Snow Peak Gigapower stove for a new one. The clerk and I tried the stove on various cannisters they had in stock (MSR and SP) the new stove fit all we tried without a leak. Problem Solved.

Thank you all for your input. At BPL we all bennefit from our combined knowledge and experience. That's what is so great about this site: lots of highly focused folks.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools