Topic

Packraft for the Baltics?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Packraft for the Baltics?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

My weekend trips for the foreseeable will likely be around the rather flat Baltics (Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania). Lots of woods and lots of lakes and rivers. I'm thinking of getting a packraft to make things a bit more interesting. The Alpacka Yak looks just about right but I'm new to this genre and looking for any advice.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Well, the Alpacka rafts pretty much set the standard for packrafts nowadays. It's just a matter of picking the size that you want. But if you're only crossing lakes and other flatwater they may be overbuilt for your purposes- people do real whitewater in them.

There are other manufacturers who make lighter and cheaper but less durable packrafts. NRS makes one. There's also another cottage manufacturer who makes one that gets good reviews, but I can't remember the name…

EDIT- Ah, here it is: http://flyweightdesigns.com/

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

concerning the yukon raft … the correct, best made, and absolute safest brand of lightweight raft without a doubt .. however, the alpacka scout will support nearly any amount of weight, including two people with a sense of humor, on flat water. it costs less than a yukon, has faster resale after the trip, and is smaller to pack, and weighs somewhat less.
    i know for a fact the scout will bounce off reasonable quantities of floating ice slabs. northern water can get nippy.
    i would question the wisdom of compromising the integrity of such a trip for the sake of temporary savings of a few bucks on an inferior raft.
    just my op (as a scout owner)

cheers,
    peter v.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Scout. I kind of agree- I'm not sure I'd recommend the NRS but, hey, it's his call. But Flyweight Designs also has a good reputation- you just have to remember that their packraft is not meant for whitewater, only calm water ferries. It is in many ways a Scout-equivalent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools