Topic

Sewing T-pins as Pot Stand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing T-pins as Pot Stand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Justin Hodges

@jhodges

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

First time poster other than a gear sale post.

I have just recently been making some variations on alcohol stoves and one of my biggest issues with the design on top burning stoves was finding a simple/light solution to a pot stand that could be fully integrated into the stove. I picked up some T-pins up from the sewing section in walmart and so far they appear to be near perfect for the purpose. I can't post pictures right now being at work all weekend, but i placed four pins vertically (T up) around the edges of the stove, outside of the burner, and they provide about 1/2-3/4 inch of clearance off the burner. This was using a 5 ounce cat food can with a soup can bottom inside as the alcohol pan.

In my first test with the stove I used my Snow peak 700 mug without a lid and no windscreen and was able to achieve a 6.5 minute boil time for 16 ounces of water at room temp. This was on my porch and wind was minimal at the time.

I'm just wondering if there is a better solution for a integrated pot stand out there for someone with limited tools and skill. Please excuse my sketch using the paint program to attempt a depiction of the design. I will post some actual pictures monday when i get back home.rough sketch

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

How did you attach T pins?

picture might be helful

Justin Hodges

@jhodges

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

The pins themselves guide through a hole in the top of the stove and then another through the flap created by the vent hole. This holds the pins steady and the point simply rests on the bottom edge of the can which is the lid of the original cat can. i reattached the lid using epoxy after i put the alcohol pan inside. With that, the pins are fully seated and hold completely steady but i imagine some epoxy at each pin hole to seal wouldn't hurt.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools