Topic

Need Lesson On Using Aqua M

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Need Lesson On Using Aqua M

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Until now I've been a Katadyn Hiker filterer of water. I'm taking the Aqua Mira plunge. Just received my first shipment of the Part A & B bottles alongwith the two mini-bottles and the mixing cap.

Please give me some detailed steps for using this system. My first trip with Aq M will be a 3-5 day hike, and then I will do a two weeker with one resupply maybe.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

Pretty simple really, just follow the instructions.

You will know if you used too much by an excessive chemical taste of the water. I suppose you will know if you used too little by the state of your BMs!

I suggest using some type of straining mesh if the water supply is murky.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Yes, I did rti. You use 7 drops or 15 if cloudy.

To clarify when using the minibottles…

Do you measure out 7 drops per planned L you plan to consume

OR 15 drops just in case the water is cloudy

Do you add a few 'treatments' in case you drop the mixing cap?

Just wanted to learn the normal process beyond the instructions.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

I think the quantity required depends on the length of your outing. For the 3-5 day trip you mentioned a full mini-bottle set should suffice. For a longer trip you will need more. I tend to just fill-up the mini-bottles and not give it any more thought.

I have had a leaking mini-bottle. This does change things!!

According to BPL on mini-bottles:
    Capacity. 10 mL capacity (0.35 oz of water). This equates to approximately 275 drops of liquid per bottle. If you were to repackage your Aqua Mira solutions into these bottles, a 2-bottle set would give you enough solution to treat about 25 liters of water (see information below under "Drop Size" regarding Aqua Mira dosing with these bottles), and collectively weigh 1.05 oz (as compared to a full Aqua Mira set, which weighs more than 3.0 oz). Thus, we recommend the smaller bottles for trips of up to about 5 days, or as a backup when a filter is your primary means of water treatment.

According to BPL on the 1oz Aqua Mira kit:
    The two bottle Aqua Mira kit weighs 3.0 ounces with the mixing cap and provides enough chemical to hike for 15-60 days (typically 30-45), depending on your rate of water consumption and level of dosage.

Michael Schurr

@mrschurr

Locale: SW US

I bought my mini-bottles from Gossamer Gear. They state as follows: The mini dropper bottles provided generate smaller drops than the 1 oz. bottles that the Aquamira is packaged in, so either up the standard dosage from 7 drops to 10 drops per liter, or allow a 50% longer time for treatment.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Got it – BPL minibottles, fill'em up and I'll be fine for my 5 day hike.

I've been taking a Platy 1L (drinking) and a +2L (usually empty – fill in camp) when I hike using the filter.

I have both an extra of each too that I leave at home.

What's a good strategy or good combination?

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

I like to have a water container for the trail and one for camp. My choice for the trail is usually a reused 1L spring water bottle. For camp I usually have some type of platy. I like to have at least a 1.5L or 2L platy in case I need to carry more water at camp or on the trail.

Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

What is the maxamin recommended duration of use for Aqua M?
    Days? Weeks?

Doug

Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

What is the maxamin recommended duration of use for Aqua M?
    Days? Weeks?

Doug

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

who can elaborate on this?

Iodine treatment should be used in conjunction with a prefiltering step if used on suspect water sources, due to its inability to inactivate bacteria that are attached to the surfaces of filterable materials.
    ===================

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Chemical%20Treatment/Pristine%20Water%20Purification/Dr.%20Ryan%20Jordan/Long%20Term%20Report/

PRISTINE WATER TREATMENT SYSTEM
    FINAL REPORT
    RYAN JORDAN

CONCLUSIONS

1. Pristine treatment resulted in an average reduction of bacteria attached to sediment/detritis surfaces of about 7 log units (i.e., if there were 10,000,000 bacteria initially present, their numbers were reduced to 1). Iodine resulted in a log reduction of about 2 units.

2. Pristine treatment effectively killed all bacteria not attached to sediment/detritis surfaces. Iodine resulted in a log reduction of approximately 3-4 units, leaving final bacterial concentrations of 1 – 1,000 organisms.

RECOMMENDATIONS

Iodine treatment should be used in conjunction with a prefiltering step if used on suspect water sources, due to its inability to inactivate bacteria that are attached to the surfaces of filterable materials.

Pristine is more effective than iodine at inactivating bacteria that are both attached and nonattached, within the limitations of this study.

Michael Schurr

@mrschurr

I am not aware of a max duration. Chorline dioxide is used to purify municipal water sources so extended use should not be an issue.

Dan Hayes

@madhall

What about the chlorites that Ryan mentioned in the BackpackingGearTest review of the Pristine ClO2? That review is the only one I've come across that mentions chlorite levels. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Michael Schurr

@mrschurr

It looks like Dr. Jordan had some concerns with routine treatment at 14 drops per liter. The following statement is fund under Aqua Mira in the Gear Shop:
    4. How safe is Aqua Mira?
    Water treated with Aqua Mira is safe to drink on a regular basis when treated as directed. Other water treatment chemicals may create foul tastes and odors, and discolor water. Some chemicals, like iodine, chlorine, and other halogens, create potentially harmful by-products.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools