Topic

2012 Trek 15

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont 2012 Trek 15

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian Legare
    BPL Member

@blegare

Locale: Midwest

If anyone is returning from Trek 15 prior to July 4th I would like to connect.

Thanks.
    [email protected]

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

You could also check over at

philmontforum.com

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

First crews went out on the tril June 9th, so don't expect to hear anything until after June 20th….

We leave at Midnight tonight for the train station!!!! :-)

Brian Legare
    BPL Member

@blegare

Thanks, Sarah. That is good to know. Is your crew doing Trek 15? I am particularly interested in knowing how close Deer Lake Mesa is to Devil's Wash Basin. My Philmont Map from 1990 tells me it is probably 1/2 a mile at most and an easy trail. I see no reason to lug 4L and 6L water bottles for a dry camp if there is water 1/2 a mile away. We will cook at Deer Lake Mesa, tank up, fill our bottles, and head to Devil's Wash Basin for the knight.

Brian Legare
    BPL Member

@blegare

Thanks for the tip, Ed. I now have a post over there as well.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Brian,

Here is a screenshot from my Garmin map with that area. You can see Devil's Wash Basin, Deer Lake and Deer Lake Mesa.
    Map with Deer Lake
    Are you considering to rely on Deer Lake for water? Please have a look at this photo which shows our crew at/in Deer Lake last July. As you can see the lake is not always what it seems to be on the map.
    Deer Lake

Best Regards,

Manfred

Joshua Gray
    BPL Member

@coastalhiker

Brian, As of 2008, the trail between the two is about 2-3 mi (no direct trail-ie as the crow flies) and both sources for water are very poor. I always suggested to my crews (former ranger) that you eat your cook meals on your approach to these camps (ie if coming up from Harlan to eitger camp; eat your dinner meal for lunch and lunch for dinner) where water is plentiful.

Edit: And there may or may not be a great "secret" short-cut trail between Devil's wash and Ute Gultch…it was always fun to let my crew leave first on the last day and then beat them into UG ;)

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

Is more like Deer Mud Pit. Even if the lake has water, there is a wide band of boot-sucking mud around it. Stayed there twice on previous treks and didn't even think of getting water from the "lake".

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools