Topic

Shoes for Wonderland Trail: Inov-8 Terrafly 343?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shoes for Wonderland Trail: Inov-8 Terrafly 343?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sukhwant Jhaj

@sjhaj

Locale: Pacific NW

Please share your experience on the kinds of shoes you have used or would recommend for Wonderland Trail, Mt Rainier.

While much of my gear is light-weight, I have been using heavy backpacking boots (Asolo leather, 3lbs) and want to replace them with trail runners. I have been using Inov-8 Terrafly 343. They feel awesome and weight around 12 OZ. Have you used Terrafly? Are they appropriate for Wonderland or should I choose a pair with more aggressive tread from the Inov-8 line? How would trail runners perform on the 23,000 feet of downhill on the trail?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Here's my trip report from a Rainier hike last August (big snow year):

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=52349&skip_to_post=444378

I used Inov8 295s and liked everything about them, including the tread pattern. This hike was about 78 miles over 4.5 days, 18K elevation gain, and incorporated big chunks of the WT. Several years previously, I hiked the whole WT wearing leather boots and carrying more trad. pack load. Had knee problems starting the first day, and continuing the whole trip. With trail runners (including Inov8) and a light load, I've never had knee problems.

I wouldn't hesitate to hike the complete WT in trail runners.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I did it with a group of 4.

We all had on trail runners- No issues.

We did see a group of 6 or 8 stopping to soak their feet in the creek while two adults (parents I assume) tended to their crying daughter due to busted blisters on her feet.

-Guess what they were all wearing for footwear….

We hiked by, felt bad for her, then reminisced about "the good ol days" of boots and blisters

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Five of us did the WT with light hikers a few years ago in early Jul. We had no problems at all, even on settled snow fields. We all had hiking poles. I can't imagine using anything else unless you go real early and expect lots of snow, and even then there are many discussions in BPL on how to use light hikers in these conditions.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Hi, Sukhwant.

I met you last year when we were on the West Coast Trail.

I hiked 84 miles of the Wonderland last fall in Merrell Barefoot Trail Gloves, and I wouldn't hesitate to hike the Wonderland in a pair of them again.

Some photos of the Wonderland and of the trail gloves (including one hiking though snow fields) are included in a trip report .

Sukhwant Jhaj

@sjhaj

Locale: Pacific NW

Thank you! I am convinced about doing this hike in trail runners. :-)

Anna, thank you for the links. I have looked at the videos. Very informative and useful.

David, thank you for the comments on Inov-8s. Very useful. Terrafly don't have as agressive a sole as 295s but I can simply test out the Terraflys on local tracks. BTW cool spork in your trip report.

Barry, thank you for the convincing story.

Elliot, I will be using my tracking poles and had visited your website when I was deciding to do the hike.

Diana, so good to hear from you. Thank you for the links and the comments. The photos are very useful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools