Topic

Sequoia and Kings Canyon area conditions, please respond with reports

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sequoia and Kings Canyon area conditions, please respond with reports

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Hi everyone,
    Just thought I'd start this thread to check on conditions in SEKI. I know many people are setting out soon on the Rae lakes loop, JMT, and some of the PCT people are hitting the area about now, so I thought this would be useful.

Please respond with trail conditions, mosquitoes, snow, temps, stream crossings, etc if you've been in the area recently.

Reports on the following would be nice:
    Rae lakes
    Glen Pass
    Forester Pass
    Colby Pass
    Avalanche Pass
    Kern river crossing near Junction Meadow

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Go to post holler and read through the journals of hikers that have already gone through the Sierra. Sounds like there is little snow other than the usul places like muir.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks guys,
    I've also been checking this daily http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm
    And today's update mentioned Colby pass is still under a serious amount of snow.

Anyone been up there recently?
    I'm also very curious about the kern river crossing at junction meadows.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I did rae lakes loop on memorial day weekend.. It snowed about 2-6in on that friday night but was all but melted by sunday. Only winter snow left was on the north side of Glen pass and I would guess its gone by now.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks Jason!
    I remember there was a stream crossing somewhere on either woods creek, or the JMT near woods creek. Was that an issue on your trip?
    Any other things I should be aware of ? How were the mosquitos?

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

hmm, no… maybe a smallish one a few miles before dollar lake.. woods creek has the famous suspension bridge and bubbs I think stays on one side of the creek till the woods/bubbs junction where there is a bridge. even if there was a stream crossing I wouldn't worry about it this year.. Its quite the opposite of last year where PCT'ers were paddling across on their neoairs..

No mosquitoes when we were there… but I imagine they are starting to swarm pretty soon..

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Great info. Thanks Jason!
    I'm heading out for 10 days starting next Friday so I'm getting excited.
    Starting at roads end, up woods creek, south on JMT over glen, forester, then west over Colby, through cloud canon, and back to roads end via avalanche pass.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Cool, nice route, you'll be fine. just bring a headnet

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

I travelled the Colby pass trail as far as Milestone Bowl early last week, the Kern River crossing was 2 10ft wide streams, both mid-calf. Shepherd,Milestone, Forester and Junction Passes were crossed in the trip, no problems with snow.

Dave

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Very helpful info. Thanks guys!
    David, by chance did you see the north side of Colby pass from the top of milestone?

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

No, it wasn't visible

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools