Topic

Jetboil warranty won’t return my cup!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jetboil warranty won’t return my cup!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Devon Cloud

@devoncloud

Locale: Southwest

I guess for my last post on this is while you may be receiving a little communication, you have to understand that these products are ones most of us have in our arsenal and want to know we are purchasing a product from a company that that has our best interests in mind and practices good business.

While I understand that this is your post we are refering to, the problem that this post brings to light is everyone's problem that deals with jetboil and therefore I believe anyone wishing to continue with the postings until Jetboil gives an on the record response is justified. We want to make sure this gets handled not only to your satisfaction but ours as well, as the outcome affects us all.

If they want to join the forum and explain themselves and tell us how this will be handled in order to remedy the issues, that would be a great way for them to bring a lot of upset individuals in this forum back to their side of the fence as long as they practice what they preach.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I sent an email to JB's customer service yesterday, I'll see after work if I received a response. For the cooking I do, I see no need yet to acquire a JB or a Reactor from MSR, I'll stick with my arsenal of 19? MSR stoves and a few other assorted brands. Good thoughts and input so far.
    Duane

Scott Higashi

@shigspeed

Well, it's over.

After all is said and done, I now have a new Sol Ti with no debonded fins. No, I haven't fired it up yet, but I feel confident that this one won't go China Syndrome on me. And no, I haven't (and don't plan on) modified this one. ;)

I really haven't heard what the new warranty protocol is at Jetboil, but they were pretty dead set against taking any ownership of the failure of my original cup. I had to sign a waiver saying they were off the hook for any damage/injury due to the mods. Because I had tinkered with it, even with engineering analysis that pointed to a different failure mode than what they had proposed, it's all on me.

Basically, their company line is that they will not speculate on any failure if any modification has been done to the product. Fair enough – it's not as designed and tested.

In a nutshell, though it was a bit of an ordeal, Jetboil did come through for me, even though technically they didn't have to warranty my cup. I give them credit for that. Thanks for all of your input and support. Now to get up into the high country and take her for a test drive!

_SHig

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

Actually they did have to warranty your cup unless they were able to show that your modification caused the failure as defined by the Magnuson-Moss Act.

(this is only my opinion based on my understanding of warranty laws in the US)

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of mod did you do on the one that failed and could it have led to the melting fins?
    I cut the handle off mine which could be considered a "mod" but I would hate to think that this would null a warranty, especially with melting fins…

Scott Higashi

@shigspeed

The mod I did was to put three slits in the cup's skirt. This prevented the cup from jamming in my PCS burner, but Jetboil also says that it happened to fit perfectly onto a Soto stove.

Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and understand heat transfer and though you can melt fins due to overpowering the flux ring, this was not the case on this particular failure based on my analysis. I can post up a long winded report on my failure vs other failures I've seen online if anyone would care to see it.

Like I mentioned up top, I knew that the cup was defective (had unbonded fins out of the box) and I knew that there was a risk of this failure but when you have a trip come up, you want to use your new gear. I just ran out of time to return the cup in time and rolled the dice. I'll own that. Dumb move.

Jetboil has owned that their warranty/return system failed in my unique situation, and replaced the cup even though it could be construed that improper use and unauthorized modification caused the failure. I have to give them credit for that. They've stated to me that they're working to change this so this situation doesn't happen in the future.

_SHig

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools