Topic

Gallatin National Forest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Gallatin National Forest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

Hello my BPL family,

I will be heading out to Bozeman, Mt for 11 days and plan on backpacking while there. I have had a tough time trying to find info on trails in the Gallatin, Lewis & Clark, & Custer. I have looked at the current forest service maps for Gallatin and I'm frankly not happy about using one. I was thinking instead of printing out topo maps, thoughts? I will be starting with a long distance day hike and see how I do at the higher altitude since I will be coming from sea level.

It would be great to meet up with some locals who can point me in the right direction when I fly out there on the 28th.

Any info or websites anyone can provide me involving backpacking those places would be huge! What topo sites or programs do you use? Snow level?

I will be running a 10K in Bozeman on the 4th of July which is smack dab in the middle of the trip thus limiting my days in the backpacking time.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

I'm guessing this is proving to be more difficult then first thought.

-Kevin

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

I am very happy with the maps produced by beartooth publishing. Add ".com" to get to their website and to view their selection of maps.
    Sorry, I am not a local and cannot help you to choose routes. My closest hiking to that area was in the Beartooth Mtns. on the Wyoming border, a five day backpack in 2010. Several of my friends have issued glowing reports of day hiking in the Rosebud area north of Red Lodge.
    Happy Hiking.

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

I was definitely wanting an answer regarding those maps they definitely look great and similar to a local mapmakers.

-Kevin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools