Topic

Ultralight 1 man shelter recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight 1 man shelter recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

Folks,
    I already have a Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy for my 1 man shelter and a Tarptent Rainshadow2 for my multi person shelter. I find the OR to be bomb proof and a great shelter. However now that I have relocated to CA and I find the OR to be rather heavy since I don't really need the bombproof shelter for CA 3 season backpacking.

Can someone recommend a sub 15 oz 1 man shelter/bivy for 3 season backpacking in CA? My primary requirements are:

* bug proof
    * water proof
    * easy to get in and out of
    – ie. Side zip preferred.

Thanks
    Chris Gilmore

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

At 15 oz. the Sixmoon Designs Skyscape X would seem to be about perfect. If you really want a bivy-sized shelter, I would go with a SMS Gatewood Cape and a small, light net tent. You may find the temp changes here make bivy camping a little too condensation heavy and wet you bag and other items. I like head room – and I'm not that tall.

But, these are by a forum member and look great for a small tarp/poncho-bivy combo:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=55681

Welcome to California.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Can someone recommend a sub 15 oz 1 man shelter/bivy for 3 season backpacking in CA? My primary requirements are:

* bug proof
    * water proof
    * easy to get in and out of
    – ie. Side zip preferred."

Six Moon Designs Skyscape X. 15 oz and meets all of the above requirements. The bad news: It costs $450.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Second the ZPacks Hexamid or Hexamid Solo Plus. Weight with the netting and the ground sheet made for it, or just tarp and net tent, are basically the same. Not cheap, of course!

If budget is a problem, there are several 24-25 oz. silnylon tents available from Tarptent and Six Moon Designs.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I second the Skyscape X as likely the best UL tent to meet your specs. Spendy with its Cuben fabric canopy but very well designed and very storm worthy.

Many tarps amd floorless tents are not nearly as storm worthy as the Skyscape X or other Skyscape tents. Nor are they as versatile.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I haven't been able to get my hands on a Skyskape X, but have spent some time in the Hexamid Solo Plus. Great shelter, the mesh floor is interesting and works well, and the cost is not too bad (for Cuben).

If you are over 6' tall it might be a little tight though, if not, then no worries.

I posted some info here regarding the Hexamid Solo Plus:
    http://hikeitlikeit.com/2012/zpacks-hexamid-solo-plus/

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don't find bugs to be a problem in Ca that a head net and a little DEET can't solve, even in the Sierras in June and July. So for me the plain zPacks Hexamid Solo is perfect at around 4 oz. I also have the zPacks poncho/ground sheet, which I don't always use with the shelter.

Another option that is not too expensive is the Six Moons Wild Oasis. Under 15 oz, and has a bug net perimeter and a full zipper. I have one of those too.

The Skyscape X looks interesting if you can handle the cost :)

Don't have any experience with their UL shelters, but take a look at Mountain Laurel Designs and Tarp Tent. Both make excellent products and have a great reputation for quality and customer service.

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

I'll throw in another Hexamid Solo Plus Tent vote.

Love mine, super easy to pitch and weathers storms very well. Plenty of height to sit up and do stuff. I have the twin floor and for one it's a very lite…palace !!

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Chris,

Here is probably the most up-to-date bit of research on the internet for sub 20 ounce fully enclosed solo shelters. It is both a very detailed spreadsheet and an article talking about the spreadsheet and decisions made.

http://hikelighter.com/2011/12/29/sulxul-enclosed-shelter-comparisons/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools