Topic

My entry into backpacking light

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My entry into backpacking light

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rich y
    Spectator

@gkine

Locale: NorCal

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=8191

My first venture into light/ultralight. I made this in a rush and I might have left one or two things I'm going to change out like the boots for sure are too heavy and I still need to add some misc things.

So please, let me know if I should change out/forgot anything/more efficient/cheaper/etc.

Thank you.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Good to have onboard !

A few things:

Typically your actual food weight is not included in your gear list – as that will change from trip to trip. So only items carried MINUS food, water, and fuel should be included on the list. Overall it looks look – if not a bit light on some things. I may have missed these but — water bottles , med kit / repair kit, guide book / maps… I'd agree to lighten up on the boots but overall a great start ! I found it very helpful to browse other peoples gear lists to see what small items I may have forgotten to include. Feel free to check out mine on my profile.

rich y
    Spectator

@gkine

Thanks, Seth. I marked food as a consumable as well as the fuel, toothpaste, etc so at the bottom it'll show what's worn/consumed/total.

For the water bottle, I have the sawyer filter and platypus. These seem like great space/weight saving options for me.

Med/repair kit I'll probably add some small bandages/strips of duct tape, tylenol, and I have the all purpose krazyglue for cuts (works REALLY well, everyone should try it). I can't imagine needing anything more than that.

Guide/maps depends on the trip I suppose.

I'm constantly looking at other people's gear and stealing their ideas.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Its a good start. Now go hiking. Takes time to dial things in.

rich y
    Spectator

@gkine

2 more months bleh. Life is in the way of life.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Are going to wear a shirt or have any insulation like a puffy jacket? What time of year and where will you be hiking,what kind of temperatures are you expecting?You might want to read this

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31018&skip_to_post=262364#262364

And watch these

http://ultralightbackpackintips.blogspot.com/search/label/video%20tutorials

rich y
    Spectator

@gkine

I'm looking into shirts right now. My next trip is in the high sierra in August so I need to look up the weather conditions and pack accordingly. I have a cotton thermal, but I should move over to wool yes?

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Wool, or or polyester/synthetic stuff like Patagonia's capilene wear. Cotton is not that warm and if it gets wet it takes forever to dry, keeping you cold. For High Sierra in August you need some good insulation. Will be cold at night and there's potential for afternoon rains. I would basically take a set of thermals (bottom and top), a light down jacket (fleece is an alternative) and a rainshell. Oh, and a wool or fleece hat and some thin gloves. That would be in addition to the shorts and tee I would most likely hike in.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools