Topic

searching for a light alcohol stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) searching for a light alcohol stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

Locale: Germany

Hi. i am searching for a light alcohol stove. I dont know if I should choose the Evernew Titanium Alcohol Stove DX Set or just the Titanium Stove + a Titanium Clikstand. The Clikstand Combo will be some grams lighter, but I could use the Evernew Set as a wood burner, that might be usefull.
    Or are there any other options with a simular weight I should have a look on?
    Friend of me is in the States for the next 10 days, so I could easily some special equipment from there.

Regards from germany, hex55

kevin smith

@divr6347

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDn4LB4s8I

i dont think they get much lighter than this and you can make it yourself for cheap

simple easy and super light

kevin

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I would just make a cat stove. Extremely cheap and works well.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

kevin smith

@divr6347

anna

great post on the different alcohol stoves that are out there

sooo many choices now days

i just got a new zelph venom stove for a gift im itching to try it out on a trip
    this weekend but preliminary test burns have show it to be pretty efficient with
    my antigravity gear 3 cup non stick cookpot

i had suggested the supercat only because i think it is one of the lightest options and easy to make/use

plenty of other great options out there though

kevin

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“Or are there any other options with a simular weight I should have a look on?”

Mechanic Mike makes some excellent stoves. My cousins use these and they are similar to what I use. They don’t need wicking or priming. I know they work great from 0F on up.
    One tip is to put a ~3”x3” foil underneath to help reflect heat back up.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370554317255?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2524wt_1396

-Barry

Don Abernathey

@oldguysrule

Locale: PNW

The only decent sideburner I've used (and still own) is the WhiteBox. I've built a lot of "cats" and they're just not a very robust design. They work fine on the kitchen stove, where most stove testing occurs. Outdoors, in real weather, they require a lot of fiddling – they will work but there is a large fiddle factor.

The Trangia burner is the very best all-around design except for weight. In harsh weather I would gladly carry a few extra ounces of Trangia knowing that it will always work with no fiddling. Evernew's version of the Trangia looks interesting, but it doesn't appear to be self-storing – am I wrong?

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

I visited all the links, but the only who could be a candidate is the Ti-Tri ULC or maybe the "Top Jet ALCOHOL STOVE with a Pot Stand & Windscreen – Kit Weighs Only 1.6 ozs", but I am not excited about both.

I see, my question wasn't specific enough. First, I dont want to make one by my own, I want to buy a good working and tested stove.
    Second I dont want only a stove, I need a stand and a windshield, too. And I want to use the stand to burn wood, too. Stove and Stand should be made from titanium and the stand should be stable, not a "amateur handicraft". Maybe this is more precise and you can suggest me some stoves/stands.

I have a Trangia, but I am searching for a lighter one.

Thank you!

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I've tried a few, inclucding a do it yourself super cat stove, and the one I've settled on is a Fancee Feest stove from Zelph Stoveworks Fancee Feest Stove . At 24 grams it's pretty lightweight and it reliably, at least for me, boils water.

EDIT – disregard my suggestion as it doesn't fit your specifications on burning wood.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

http://www.qiwiz.net/stoves.html

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product577.asp?PageID=1

http://fourdog.com/bushcookerlt-ii-bush-cstove/

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

backpackinglight did a comparison report on many stoves(you must be a member to read the full report.Here is some of what they had to say about the evernew

Evernew Titanium DX Stove Set Below Average

The DX stove set consists of two circular sets of titanium that slip together, forming a fire cavity. The small diameter of the stove makes it unstable, and its small fuel chamber makes fuel stoking difficult. There are gaps at the stove base that allow bottom-up ignition, but ignition still proves difficult because of small size and lack of stability.

Evernew Titanium DX Stove Set Pot fell over once. Extremely unstable. Poor chimney effect.

I have several Traildesigns stoves and they are great,if you do a search on this sight you will see they are highly regarded ,very efficient and well designed stove system;Traildesigns is also great to deal with ,fantastic customer service.The qiwiz.net stove(firefly) is newer and made by Rob Kelly who is a member here, it weighs about 2.3-2.5 ounces, I have never used one but I am sure he would answer any questions you might have.

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

This http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product577.asp?PageID=1 looks almost perfect for me, but its also very small (to small to burn wood? In the video they do) and one side is always open, so it maybe will use more fuel.
    The http://www.qiwiz.net/stoves.html is very simular, looks a little bigger (better to make a fire), but also more fragile, more heavy, more expensive.

But the Evernew Titanium DX Stove Set doesnt look more unstable to me than the other two. Maybe a little because its round.

The Ti-Tri from traildesigns.com looks very stable but they didnt fit in a small pot like the MSR Kettle Titanium, only in wide pots?

Edit: Ok, found out that they build it custom, so it will fit. But the wight is a lot compared to the others.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The Ti-Tri system weighs more than some people think it should, but it burns wood, alcohol, or Esbit. It is its own windscreen and pot support. Also, you can use the clear plastic caddy or find a lighter weight substitute. It is a good choice if you are heading somewhere and you don't really know which fuels are most practical or legal.

–B.G.–

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

YouTube video

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I can't believe the TD stove setup is much heavier than other alky setups, but if it is, the things that make it a tiny bit heavier are worth the weight to improve functionality. The wind screen makes it stable plus immune to any wind, and the Ti lets you burn wood inside the windscreen. Those features are worth 2 oz.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

RE: Hex55 saying: "Edit: Ok, found out that they build it [Caldera] custom, so it will fit. But the wight is a lot compared to the others [e.g., Clikstand?]."

Considering just bare-bone basics (ignoring pot, firestarter, fuel container, fire starter, and other elements beyond just what-it-takes-to-boil-water-in-a-pot, since both basic setups have to have those other things, too), here's a comparison for a Ti-Tri Sidewinder Caldera cone w/Trail Designs 12-10 burner & 2 stakes (all fit inside 1.3L Evernew Ti pot) vs Clikstand T-2 w/Evernew Titanium burner & Ti Windscreen (all fit inside 1.3L Evernew Ti pot) —

Ti-Tri Sidewinder cone (for 1.3L Ti pot) 1.41 oz
    Trail Designs 12-10 burner 0.57 oz
    Titanium stakes (2x) 0.42 oz

Total: 2.40 oz

Clikstand T-2 stand 2.00 oz
    Clikstand Ti Windscreen 0.70 oz
    Evernew Titanium burner 1.20 oz

Total: 3.90 oz

Difference: the basic Sidewinder setup is about 1.5 oz lighter than the basic Clikstand setup (per wts of my Sidewinder vs wts @ Clikstand website).

Price of the above basic Clikstand titanium setup: $125.85,
    which includes Clikstand T-2 @$59.95, Ti Windscreen @ $19.95, and Evernew burner @ $59.95 (per Clikstand website).

Price of the Ti-Tri Sidewinder "system" (w/o inferno) — $79.95,
    which includes the Ti-Tri Sidewinder cone and Trail Designs 12-10 burner, and also a titanium GramCracker solid fuel kit, a fuel bottle kit with measuring cup, a Tyvek sleeve to protect pot, and two titanium stakes for wood burning mode (per Trail Designs website).

The above "extras" that come with the Ti-Tri Sidewinder add weight beyond the basic Sidewinder setup, but some of those extras are needed with either of the two setups (e.g., fuel bottle & sleeve for cone or Clikstand).

Adding the inferno and floor to the T-Tri would increase the weight, too. But those are options specific to using fire with the cone, and are not needed for purpose of the above weight comparison of the two basic setups in alcohol mode.

Recalling that the weight for the basic Ti-Tri setup as described above assumes that it's the cone designed for a 1.3L Evernew pot, the weight of the "basic" Sidewinder setup would probably be lighter if the cone was one designed for a .9L Evernew pot to the extent less titanium would be required for the cone. A smidgen less, maybe?

Using that same smaller .9L pot with the basic Clikstand setup wouldn't result in any weight reduction — same Clikstand, same windscreen, same burner.

Looks to me like the basic Sidewinder setup weighs significantly less than the comparable basic Clikstand setup.

PS — the Sidewinder cone for the 1.3L pot is nice because the same cone can also be used with an Open Country 2 qt pot (requires the addition of two pair of stake holes to prevent the taller 2 qt pot from extending too far down, snuffing the burner). Can also use a smaller pot (e.g., .9L Evernnew) with the 1.3L/Sidewinder cone by inserting the stakes in the holes for the "fire" level, or maybe having another set of holes added to accomodate the .9L pot — specifically requested when ordering the Sidewinder (more holes make the cone even lighter ;>)

The rolled-up 1.3L Sidewinder w/burner fits inside the Open Country 2qt pot just as well as it fits inside the 1.3L Evernew pot, but the same rolled-up cone does not fit inside the .9L Evernew pot :>(

However, the Clikstand w/burner & windscreen can fit in all three of those pots, and its windscreen can apparently accomodate any of those pots, too (per specs at Clikstand website).

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

+1 Ti Clikstand combo. I absolutely love mine. Works perfect every time and so predictable it cracks me up.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

My lightest setup is the Thermojet stove for my one liter Evernew pot. But i prefer the slightly heavier caldera cone for the better windy conditions performance and stability.

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

Of course the Ti-Tri looks like the most efficient / wind stable stove system. But if its custom made for one special pot I can't take another pot later. Could be a problem. And if I want to burn wood I need the inferno, make it heavy and expensive and it will need more space in my backpack. But ok, seems to be a real wood burner then, not like the others.
    Now I dont need a 1.3 liter pot, but maybe later I want to use the stove for two persons, so the system should be ok for 0.8 and 1.3 liter pots. This let me think the clikstand, "backpackinglight.co.uk" or the Evernew Titanium DX Stove Set would be a better option, because I would be a lot more flexible for the future.
    Am I wrong?

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

My 2 cents:

If you plan to usually burn alcohol but want to be able to burn wood occasionally as a backup, I'd recommend a Caldera Cone Ti-Tri to fit whatever pot will meet most of your needs. It is stable and very fuel efficient and very wind-resistant.

If you plan to usually burn wood but want to be able to burn alcohol occasionally in bad weather, above tree line, or in fire ban areas, then I'd recommend a wood burner that has the option to add an alcohol burner AND a windscreen. One example of this is the FireFly, but there are others. Each one has their devotees, critics, and defenders. That's what makes it so much fun. ; )

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"And if I want to burn wood I need the inferno"

No.

–B.G.–

jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

I have the stove set and love it but have now also got the Caldera Cone TiTri Inferno as well.
    The stove set is not the best for windy conditions and it can be unstable on uneven ground or with the wrong size pot.
    The actual Evernew burner I cannot fault however. It is essentially an indestructible pepsi can stove in my eyes.
    My preferred option now is the Evernew burner with the Caldera Cone (did not like their burner). It gives me a stove of immense durability, stability in the wind, and the ability to use wood or solid fuel as well. I feel I have everything but gas covered (and I have one of those in the cupboard as well).
    If you want to use only alcohol and budget is an issue I would recommend the stoveset if you expect to do all your cooking on a stable base (e.g. picnic table). If your budget goes to it just get the Evernew burner and a Caldera Cone that suits your needs.
    You will be able to pass your Evernew stove on to your grandchildren

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Jacko,

I bought the Evernew stove for what seems to be the same reasons you did – I wanted something light and virtually indestructible. I was disappointed when I used it in the field though. It didn't boil water as efficiently as the 12-10 stove that came with my Caldera cones (I have a couple).

With my Caldera cone and Evernew 640 ml Tall Pot the 12-10 stove will bring a pint to a boil with 15 ml of denatured alcohol. I found it took 25 ml with the Evernew stove to consistently reach a boil.

I haven't measured the time factor in reaching a boil – I'm not using alcohol because it's quick – so that may be a difference, but time doesn't weigh anything in my pack so I focus on how much fuel I need to carry for x number of pints of hot water.

My tests were NOT scientific – perhaps I had water temperatures that differed greatly or something like that, but the Evernew simply didn't perform as well as the 12-10.

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

Why there is this warning in the information about the Caldera Cone Stove?

NOT FOR USE WITH WOOD OR PETROLEUM FIRES!!!!

Is it really not possible to use it with fire? Only the Ti-Tri?

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Yes it is true, the heat of the fire will melt the aluminum.
    The Titanium can handle that level of heat.

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

Ah ok, didnt see that its only aluminium.
    So if I buy a Ti-Tri without the inferno I also can burn wood in it? The difference between with and without inferno is what exactly?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools