Topic

Whitney Mountaineering Route

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Whitney Mountaineering Route

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Anyone out there that has done the Whitney Mountaineering Route, either the chute or the walk-off route, or both? I am looking to get some advice from you on it. I was up Whitney via the main trail this weekend and had a chance to scout out the chute which looks doable once you are down about a 100 feet of steeper, looser footing. I think it would be pretty straightfoward going up as you are using your hands and feet for stability leaning into the grade, whereas the top 100 feet or so of the down hill has me a bit preplexed how to go about it safely. Any advice out there. I would be willing to do the walk-off route which is safer now that all of the snow and ice is gone, but need some info on it.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Look here – massive amounts of info on all things Whitney:

http://whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Thanks Paul. I have got some good info from that site in the past. I actually contacted a guy who has gone on the mountaineering route about 40 times, and he gave me some great info and photos.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools