Topic

September AT Section in NC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists September AT Section in NC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug Parker

@buffaloskipper

Locale: Gulf Coast

Some friends of mine and I are planning a 6 day Section from Standing Indian (campground) to Fontana Dam in late September. Here is my gear list for everyone to critique. Each line in ALL CAPS is a category, with a total weight of items in that group listed. Hope that doesn't confuse anyone.

CATEGORY/Item ounces

BACKPACK 38.9

ULA Circuit 2.0 34.2
    ULA Sil pack cover 3.2
    Trash compactor liner 1.5

HAMMOCK/TARP 22.1

WB Traveler 1.1 single 11.5
    Ti shepherd hooks 2.6
    Zpacks Cuben Tarp 8.0

SLEEPING 54.2

20° Underquilt 24.7
    15° Topquilt 23.4
    Small foam pad 2.1
    Pillow 4.0

ESSENTIALS 10.0

Brunton 7DNL Compass 0.9
    Headlamp 2.6
    First Aid kit 3.0
    Mini Bic lighter 1.8
    Multi tool knife, small 1.7

TOILETRIES/HYGINE 6.9

Toiletries in sil bag 3.5
    Washcloth 0.4
    Toilet paper 3.0

CLOTHING: All Layers 45.0

Addidas boxer/briefs 2.3
    C9 short sleeve shirt 4.0
    C9 Long Sleeve shirt 5.8
    Smartwool socks (2) 6.6
    Long underwear top 5.0
    Long underwear bottom 5.0
    Dri Ducks Jacket 5.4
    Dri Ducks Pants 4.6
    Beanie hat 3.0
    Brooks LSD Jacket II 4.3

HYDRATION/ PURIFICATION 11.1

AquaMira drops 3.0
    Platypus 3l bladder 4.0
    Gatoraid Bottle 1L 1.9
    Aquafina 1L bottle 1.3
    Water Scoop 0.9

KITCHEN 19.8

1.3L tiWare pot/lid 5.7
    Freezer bag coozie 1.6
    Starlight Alcohol Stove 0.2
    12oz Alcohol fuel bottle 0.8
    Windscreen/pot stand 2.0
    Plastic Measuring Cup 1.7
    Drinking cup 1.9
    Alpha Light long spoon 0.4
    Food storage can 3.0
    75' Amsteel/bear line 2.5

CAMERA 5.8

Fuji XP10 5.4
    extra battery 0.4

BASE WEIGHT: Lbs/Oz 13 Pounds, 5.8 Ounces

Some of the listed items have not yet been purchased, but only about 3 or 4. Not listed are the clothes on my back (pants, one shirt, one underwear, one socks), and Black Diamond trekking poles. I may be able to skip the long underwear, depending upon the forecast.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I did this section in late September last year (actually from Springer to Newfound Gap). The coldest it got was maybe 35 degrees. Most nights were in the 40s and 50s. A 15-degree quilt may be excessive.

Also, 5 liters water capacity is far more than you need. We had an epic drought last fall, and I never carried more than 3 L of water at any time. If it was a normal year, I would go with 2 L of capacity.

No insulated jacket?

Doug Parker

@buffaloskipper

I have a 15° quilt (23 oz) and also a 25° quilt (17 oz). The difference in weight is negligible for the additional 20° range of comfort. I am not one to hang out and stay up late. Once it is dark, I am off to bed, and I am up early. I have 3 long sleeve layers (1 thermal, 1 shirt, and the light wind jacket). If I need to, I can always put on the Dri Ducks to add one more layer.

Regardless, I will certainly look at forecasts and make any adjustments on the quilt and jacket/layers as I get a more accurate assessment of what we will be encountering.

As for the 3L Platypus, I rarely carry more than 1-2 liters while hiking (depending upon expected water sources). However, September is more of a dry month, and if the southern drought continues, I would like the ability to carry more water, especially going into a dry camp (we are not always staying at shelters/springs). The 4 oz Platty packs very small when empty; by comparison, a Nalgene weighs almost 8 oz empty. I don't use it as a hydration bladder, only for storage when needed.

Again, I will assess water conditions carefully before we hit the trail. Thanks much for the tip on last year's weather. That will be very helpful in my planning. If the forecast remains on the warmer side, I will carefully assess if I can carry my 35° quilt.

Any other suggestions? Things I can drop? Any items I may have left off?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would take a hat and possibly a little sunscreen. I would take your lighter quilt and leave your winter one home. I would leave the pack cover home; you have a liner. I would likely carry less clothes. I would consider some light insulation, maybe a vest. There are several other things I would do by personal preference or to be a bit lighter, but it looks like you are pretty prepared to me.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I agree with the above suggestions. I would ditch the pack cover and just use the liner bag. I'd also go with less clothes. Six upper body layers is a lot. Down to 30 F, I would personally bring just one baselayer top, one light insulated jacket (eg. montbell exlight 6 oz) or equivalent fleece, and 1 windshirt. No change of clothes or underwear. No need for long john pants or top unless you like sleeping in them.

Ditch the measuring cup and just eyeball it- approx equal parts food and water.

Ditch the drinking cup- you are freezer bag cooking, so drink out of your pot while your food rehydrates in the bag.

Make your own Coozie out of bubble wrap or reflectix and save an ounce.

What is a food storage can? Get rid of it.

Agree with Scott about the water situation, but if you want the ability to carry lots, at least drop one of the one L bottles.

Disclaimer: All suggestions offered in the spirit of BPL. In the end, it's your trip. Bring what makes you happy.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

FYI, nights are over 12 hours long by late September. I don't think I'd be capable of sleeping that much even if I wanted to. Unless you plan to lounge in your hammock for hours each night/morning or do a lot of night hiking, you should think about an insulated jacket and hat for hanging out in.

Doug Parker

@buffaloskipper

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had not really added up 6 outer layers, so I do appreciate the perspective.

To justify one of those layers, I have gotten in the habit of always changing clothes before going to bed, and will continue to do that; I find that putting on a clean dry layer allows me to sleep warmer at night. And weather permitting, I will probably drop the thermals. Only in the coldest weather do I hike in anything more than a short sleeve shirt, but always in long pants.

And I will also consider an insulated layer. I have a "light" Columbia Fleece, but it weighs some outrageous amount. Not to hijack my own thread, but can anyone recomend any other light-weight jackets? I have previously been satisified with a multiple light layers and have never taken a "heavier" jacket. Any additional ideas here are very welcome.

I will also look at the weather carefully and may take my lighter quilt.

As for the water storage, there will be 4 of us going, so if everyone takes 2 liters personally, and we share the 3 liter platty, that may be an option. I primarily take my cup for coffee, and I use my pot for water only (hence I never clean it). I am satisifed to rinse out my cup with water that I just drink. I used to use a single cup (REI clear thermal mug) for both measuring and coffee, but at almost 5 oz it was too heavy. I could drop the little measuring cup, but I am not good at estimating; I may look for a lighter measuring scoop.

The coozy I have is a homemade one with bubblewrap. It is slightly oversized, so that in a pinch, it can hold 2 FBC quart meals (if I am hiking with someone who does not have one). I may have to re-weigh this to verify.

As for the food can, it is a Folders plastic coffee can. I do like to keep my food organized, and this gives enough rigidity to protect my food when I am rough in the pack. It holds 2.5 days of food perfectly. I might be able to substitute a similar sized silnylon bag I have to save a little more.

All good ideas. When I plug these changes into my gear weight calculator, it gets down to about an ounce under 12 lbs, without food, water and fuel. That is nice! With estimated consumables, I am right at 17 lbs for this hike.

Additonal ideas on a light insulated layer (jacket) are welcome.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

For a light insulating layer, the Stoic Hadron is light and inexpensive on Department of Goods site. Stoic tends to fit a little slim and have long arms. I have one and really like it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools