Topic

Red’s Meadow – Mail a package FROM there??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Red’s Meadow – Mail a package FROM there??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

I've tried reaching out to the General Store/Pack Station directly for an answer on this, but the General Store manager won't be available until they open on June 22nd and the pack station apparently doesn't know the answer to my question.

Hoping someone here has experience and may know the answer.

I am hiking the SHR in July and have Red's Meadow as one of my resupply points. I was planning on mailing a package there with my food plus also some backup items should I need replacement gear or other stuff (like a bounce box). Any idea whether or not I can leave a prepaid USPS package at the General Store there and have them bring it to the post office with their next package pickup run??? This way I could pull out what I need and just mail the rest back home.

If not, I can plan around it, but I was hoping to be able to use this strategy rather than only shipping food and other consumables.

Thanks.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

The general store isn't really a post office. However you can pay the pack station to pick up your resupply in Mammoth, bring it to Reds Meadow and hold it for you in the general store. I assume that is what you are doing for your resupply there.

It makes sense that if they deliver packages from the Mammoth post-office to the Reds Meadow store for a fee that you would also be able to convince them to deliver a package from the store to the post-office for a similar fee. If not you might be able to talk somebody else at Reds Meadow who is heading in to Mammoth to mail a package if you give them the fee.

If you want a bona fide US post office, the store in Tuolomne has one of those or you could take the shuttle, and then the other shuttle in to the town of Mammoth which of course has a real post-office.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools