Topic

sock and underwear fabrics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sock and underwear fabrics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    che gra

@shovelopikis

i went to go buy some sock liners and underwear today
    but was confused at what was on offer
    now ive read a lot about sock liners (my outer socks are thick coarse wool blends)
    but i can only find thin black merino socks…are these okay as liners?
    they look and feel like black dress socks

also i need some underwear and some coolmax briefs were advertised, but it was a blend of poly/spandex and cotton???
    …is it okay for there to be some cotton in there?
    or should i pass them up and keep looking?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Wool liner socks are fine.

I'd avoid the cotton blend underwear.

Tony Fischer
    Spectator

@adfischer

You are going to get a lot of different responses on socks. Some will tell you dont worry about the liner, others that you got to have it. My personal preference is a medium weight wool ankle sock with no liner.

Bottom line with socks is that all of our feet are different. My opinion is that socks are something you have to personalize with what works for you. That may mean trying different combinations to find what works best for you. The one thing I think we can all agree on – no cotton!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I use nylon for both.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Liner socks will get hammered a bit. Nylon ones are fine, but I think thin wool ones will wear out very quickly.
    Cotton is cheap for socks but pretty horrible for walking.

Underwear – cotton blend is OK, just a bit slow drying. Straight syn is OK if done properly, and dries faster.

I use Gobi Wigwam liner socks and ExOfficio briefs.

Cheers

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

+1 on what Caffin said.

Personally I wear wrightsocks that come with with a built in liner and while not as durable as I would like (a pair or two seemed to thin quickly), I still have yet to wear a hole in any pair of mine (the oldest pairs are 3 years old or so).

For underwear you'll find a ton of happy users of Ex-Officio boxer/briefs on this site, myself included. (I'm even wearing a pair now if that's not enough testimonial ;)

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I know I'm gonna catch some flack, but I bought some new micro fiber underwear at Macys last week. They were around $10-11/pair (Calvin Klein). And just tried a few times so far, but they are super comfortable. Hope to try a pair on a hike this weekend. Very breathable and nice to the touch. 50 grams for superman style and 72 grams for boxer style.

Also, I really like compression shorts. I have several pair I got at Big5. They are Everlast and can be had for around $10 on sale. Very reliable and could be used as a swim suit in a pinch. They are long enough to prevent chaffing and dry very fast when you wash them. I think they are nylon. Very trail tested and highly recommendable.

Cotton kills in sock and underwear fabrics especially.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools