Topic

First Ascent Karakoram bags… what’s the good word?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First Ascent Karakoram bags… what’s the good word?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Have any of you BPL'ers given one of these bags a shot? I noticed them in a catalog not too long ago and have been a little curious. Compared to, say a WM Ultralite, they are about 7 oz heavier and, if the specs are correct, 6 ounces of that is down fill. WM claims 16oz of 850 fill, FA claims 22oz of 850 fill… both are rated as 20* bags.

I happen to own one of the Ultralite bags (as well as Alpinlite) and the ratings are pretty true so logic would dictate that the FA bag could rate at a lower temp. Also worth noting is that none of the WM bags I've owned, or currently own hit the weight spec dead on, usually an ounce or two heavier. So the weight difference of the two bags may be more like 5-6 ounces. Some of that additional weight on the WM bags could be overage of down, so also the fill difference might be an ounce or two less than I'm figuring, but still in favor of the FA bag.

The FA also sports a Pertex shell and enlarged foot box, which are nice touches. The price is pretty good too.

I'm not ready to give up my WM down, I'm just curious at this point. I haven't heard much, if anything, about these bags.

edited to add links:
    FA:
    http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=42709&&categoryId=28802&categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-SLEEPING-BAGS&pCategoryId=28482&pCategoryName=GEAR&gpCategoryId=28475&gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28802~~categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-SLEEPING-BAGS~~pCategoryId=28482~~pCategoryName=GEAR~~gpCategoryId=28475~~gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT~~ggpCategoryId=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1

WM:
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=17

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I can't comment on their sleeping bags, but their clothing line has been excellent so far.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hey Don. I've had a FA down sweater for a couple of years and it's been great. I was kind of hoping someone here might have tried one of these and seen the thread, but maybe not yet.

If they go on crazy clearance at some point, I will probably grab one just to check it out.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I'm trying *not* to buy any more sleeping bags, as I'm already past my quota. :-)

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

"Have any of you BPL'ers given one of these bags a shot? I noticed them in a catalog not too long ago and have been a little curious. Compared to, say a WM Ultralite, they are about 7 oz heavier and, if the specs are correct, 6 ounces of that is down fill. WM claims 16oz of 850 fill, FA claims 22oz of 850 fill… both are rated as 20* bags."

6 ounces of extra down would make sense if these FA bags were wider. The Ultralite is very narrow and I bet the EB FA bags are more 'accommodating' in their fit.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Hey Jacob-

I use to work at EB for almost 4 years and recently left to go back to the engineering world so maybe I might be able to assist in some way. I first saw the blueprints for the bags over a couple years ago and from the early specs to production nothing has changed. I do know that EB won't be changing the design of it for two years. Unlike the regular FA items that get an update every year from feedback and then go on massive clearance to make way for the new models. I think I remeber that the bags will only available in some select stores (i.e. Bellevue, Park Meadows, Michigan Avenue) but they could have changed their selling strategy since I left. EB has also really started to limit being able to buy FA items with coupons and/or inconjuction with sales. They're trying to set it apart from their regular EB items. Your (and anyone else) best option is to try and qualify to be a Pro Member so you get a 40% discount.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools