Topic

Kavu Chillba bugnet mod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Kavu Chillba bugnet mod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I have a Kavu Chillba and was thinking rather than take a separate ballcap for use with a mosquito net I might try my hand at modding the chillba instead. I was hoping for some ideas on how to do that, which would probably be way better than my own blind attempt.

My idea was…. snaps at the top going to the rim of the head-sweats type bit, going out a bit more in the front. I envision some fabric holding around both edges of the netting tube, the bottom with elastic to close it up, the top having snaps to go in and out of my chillba. I'm not sure what i mean by snaps either, but perhaps a jo-anne's fabric trip will do that for me.

Does that sound about right?

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

From your description, it seems you want to be able to completely remove the netting from the hat, not just stash it out of the way. Is this correct?

I like the idea, and wandering around Joanns you will probably get lots of idea. I would say you will want to attach straight to the foam of the hat.

I'm not sure how thick the foam on the Chillba is, but one option could be to use small metals snaps that Joanns sells. You can get about 8 of them in a pack, which should be enough for the project. It would involve only hand sewing one half of the snap to the hat and doing the same for the other half on the netting. I would probably put a small reinforcement patch on the netting as well. In the front you could position the snaps farther away from your face, as if you had a bill to lay the netting over.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Instead of using snaps, how about just a bug head net with a large hole, but not so large that the hat passes through it? To keep it from sliding around, a couple of clips could be attached to the edge of the hat (binder clips, plastic chip clips, etc). Or magnets on either side of the hat.

Steve

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Those sheet metal bits sound good. I'll check jo-anne's. I do indeed want it to be removable, as I should have stated.

I'll check out the idea of just using a stock bugnet but playing with it. It's a huge hat so it just didn't seem reasonable, but it's always good to check your assumptions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools