Topic

Roomy 3-4 person tent recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Roomy 3-4 person tent recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Deleted

David Ure

@familyguy

Tarptent Hogback?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Steven, no ill will intended, but if your wife wants something similar to that huge tent, it sounds as if her expectations are not going to jive with reality. Is there any good reason to carry a 3-4 person tent for two people?

I would think other factors such as single wall vs double would play more to comfort than having unused extra space. The Lunar Duo is a spacious 2 person tent that a lot of guys have found makes their companion happy… but its single wall.

If it had to be bigger, then the hogback might be a good option. I would try to work on aligning her expectations with more practical solutions.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Dave :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the reply and no I'll taken :-)

I did mention in my post that I told her thats size was unrealistic, I figure if I get a decent size tent she will enjoy it better.

We have site camped in small tents before and she did not like the lack of headroom As she is fairly tall.

The Hog back could indeed be a great option or even a Golite Sl3, I see they are on half price sale at the moment.

As its only for overnighters weight is not so much a hassle.

I my myself like a roomy tent and my solo tents are a Tarp tent Scarp 1, Stratosphire 1 and Hilleberg Soulo (ok that one is cosy).

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Jacob,

Forget to say I think a double wall tent would problay be best, I could always order a hogback or Golite Sl3 and see how she likes them, could alway return them and just eat the shipping.

Main thing is she has decided to go backpacking :-)

I just remember now her loathing of small tents came from when we are at the Isle of Wight Festival in the UK about 6 years ago and we camped in a Msr Zoid 2.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I see the Hogback comes with a Cross pole, that could be handy if Winter camping.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Just showed her the Hogback video and she was impressed by the size of it.

Thanks both for the recommendations :-)

David Ure

@familyguy

I'm still trying to get my wife out with me so it looks like you have had success on two fronts!!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Yep, after 8 years she has finally caved in :-)

Let's hope she enjoys the trip.

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

Stephen

I have the Kelty Gunnison 3.1 and love it. I use it for car camping and backpacking. There is plenty of room, doors on both sides[so no crawling over each other], and very fast to set up. Not the lightest tent ever but does a great job. It is also warm and never had a water problem with it even in snow.

Anytime I take friends or family on first time backpacking trips I try to make it the best experience I can for them. Comfort is key if you want them to have fun and enjoy the wilderness. Once they get the backpacking bug they will figure out themselves how to make it faster and lighter. Or maybe slow and comfortable is the way they like it. As long as they are enjoying the outdoors.

good luck on your trip. where u headed?

Also 2009 Backpacker all around best

http://www.kelty.com/p-353-gunnison-31.aspx

http://www.backcountry.com/kelty-gunnison-3.1-tent-3-person-3-season?CMP_SKU=KEL0704&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&003=7162907&010=KEL0704-ONECOL-ONESIZ&mr:trackingCode=A4A3AEC8-8E50-E011-9324-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

A BA FC UL3? Trail weight is around 56 oz with 65" width (@ head) and 88-89" length. One of the lightest true two person tents around. The UL2 isn't really a two-person tent. Seems that most tents these days are optimistic in their labeling. Anyway, my recommendation is not exactly 96" wide, but will fit two people and not break you back carrying it. Good luck finding your sweet spot.

James Berwick

@jhb0510

Hi
    I use the Go lite SL5 when I go backpacking with my wife, way to much space than is required but it allows us to spread out, is bug proof(with the nest) and is not transparent. I first got her out and about in a tarp tent squall, all we needed space wise etc, but she found it cramped especially in wet weather and didn't like the fact you could see though the material(even if there is noone around to see you!
    James

jim jessop

@luckyjim

If it's her first time, the other thing she might dislike is carrying a bunch of heavy gear.

I get where she's coming from if a zoid 2 is her point or reference. Compared to that the stratospire 2 is palacious for 2, 2 vestibules and a very open aspect and only weighs 40 oz / 1100 gm. It also has comparable (slightly better) head height to the hogback, though if head height is the most important criteria I'd go for the SL5 or SL3 or an MLD Supermid.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi folks,

Cheers all for the replies.

I say it will be yours truly who will be carrying the tent so weight wil be a concern but as the trips will be short it'd not a massive issue.

We did consider the Sl3 but my wife did not like the pile in the middle, I thought the Sl5 wold be too big but after adding the family tent Sotm it eos not look too massive, also the sl5 can be had for 250$ where as the Hogback is 400$

Cheers,

Stephen

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

Roomy, reasonable weight and on offer at the moment. T3+ if you are over 6' tall

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Paul,

Folks,

After seeing the Golite Sl5 review on the SOTM we are going to order it today as they are half price.

Cheers,

Stephen

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

Stephen- we seem to be on a similar tent hunt. I was looking for a backpacking tent for myself and my two boys (6&8) to start shifting from day hikes to overnights. I considered many of the tents discussed here. I think I would have preferred a Hogback but I couldn't pass up the SL3 on sale and with an additional 20% off. (If you have something of theirs to review online they will instantly send you a 20% off code) I just ordered it yesterday so I've yet to put the theory to the test. But I think my boys will like the tee-pee look, have plenty of space inside when needed and it could work well solo too.

I agree that comfort is a prime consideration for anyone new to the trail. It is fitting all that comfort on my back that drew me to this site – excellent resource.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Chris,

A buddy of mine mentioned to me today about the 20% off, that is great considering the tent is already at half price.

I have seen a few sl3's in the flesh and they are really only a 2 person tent so the sl5 would be better.

For kids the tee pee look will be a great draw.

Cheers,

Stephen

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Youll need one trekking pole and a floor/bug net of some sort but it offers 64 sq. feet of internal space and could be less than 2 lbs with ground sheet and netting. There's a thread or two here on it, and the MSRP is $350.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Brian,

I have paid for the Sl5 already.

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

I think you will be happy with the SL5. I just picked one up for me, my wife, baby daugter, and 2 dogs. It is a palace. Compared to the SL3 the square shape is much more intuitive and the design of the nest leaves a vestible which prevents rain from coming in when you enter. As a bonus leave the nest at home and you have a huge and light bomber 4 season shelter. For something like 220 shipped you can't beat it for a family tent.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Gerry,

Thats great about the vestibule, I know a few folk back home who have Sl3s and the lack of vestibule has always been their main gripe.

If I can persuade my wife to go winter camping we will definitely use the outer by itself.

With the half price and a coupon I have it's a steal :-)

Cheers,

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools