Topic

Sawyer Squeeze Filter pouches: BPA free or not?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer Squeeze Filter pouches: BPA free or not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

On the Sawyer website, I see other BPA free products but no mention of it on the Squeeze Filter. I would think, being that it's almost certainly a selling point, if the pouches were BPA free, Sawyer would state them as such.

Without guessing or speculating, does anyone know for sure if these pouches are BPA free or not? I have emailed Sawyer twice and have not received a reply.

Oh, and please…lets not turn this into a BPA debate or thread of why or how BPA ain't gonna hurt, maim, or kill anyone. :)

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

As I understand it, BPA only comes from the dehydration of the molecule that makes up lexan.

steven franchuk

@surf

"BAs I understand it, BPA only comes from the dehydration of the molecule that makes up lexan."

BPA was also added to plastics other than Lexan and epoxy coatings used on food cans. The only way to know if it has BPA is to ask the vendor or to send the product to a lab for testing.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

I got a response from Sawyer last night. Below is our correspondence.

Me: "Hello, Do the bags that come with the "Squeeze Filter" contain BPA? Thank you."

Sawyer: "No. They are made of Mylar. BPA is pretty much non-existent in the marketplace anymore".

I'm not sure I'm doubting whether or not there's BPA in them but it still seems odd to me since they advertise some of their other products as BPA free but not these pouches. And BPA pretty much non-existent in the marketplace?? Obviously, this is not true. Perhaps the responder was referring to water bottles though, I don't know.

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

BPA Free labeling was a big deal while people were fired up and companies were transitioning away from BPA. Regulations banning BPA has made new production products show up without BPA free markings due to the fact that it is required and no longer an issue of does it or doesn't it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Except – canned food in the U.S. – the lining contains BPA – any attempt to label it or prohibit is has been thwarted so far. In other countries, the governments aren't bought off as much as the U.S. so they don't allow BPA

It's worse when you heat it up, like they do with canned goods. Not so bad with drinking bottles that you just put cold water in. Worse in baby bottles that you put hot "formula" in, but at least we don't allow that anymore.

I wonder what other chemicals there are that are just as bad in plastic drinking bottles and food cans.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Jacob – Not sure I fully understand your post but BPA has NOT been banned in the US (lots of Google info). However, despite fierce opposition from the chemical industry, some states have banned its use in baby bottles and sippy cups. Otherwise, it's out there in abundance. Outside of the aforementioned bottles and cups, discontinuing the use of BPA has been voluntary. Undoubtedly, some of this is due to marketing rather than genuine health concerns.

Jerry – "I wonder what other chemicals there are that are just as bad in plastic drinking bottles and food cans". Exactly! Besides what may be found, how long will it be until the consumer finds out?? BPA was discovered to leach into food years before the media picked up on it. Being very familiar with the chemical regulatory process, I don't fully trust any plastic when it's making contact with my food/beverages. Puts me in an awkward position being that I received the Sawyer Squeeze as a Bday present. Pretty difficult to ignore its advantages. I like the Steripen but being old fashioned, don't like relying on batteries and electronic complexities.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools