Topic

Instructions for painter’s plastic tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Instructions for painter’s plastic tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

I recently came across TheCheapBastard's video of his hammock setup with a painter's plastic tarp using packing tape to reinforce the stress points (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yozd0fulWeE). Anyone have instructions or dimension specs for this? I'm really interested in a <$25 tarp system.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

He mentions some information about the dimensions and build method in this video. It seems like it is about 11×8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCUc_aUnb0&feature=relmfu

I'd be curious about the durability of the material. Some members here have had luck using Polycryo for making tarps, but it would cost a little bit more. I've very little engineering knowledge, but even with the tape along the tie out points, it still seems like force will be put on the large panels between them, which is the difficulty with tarps. This could be an issue under strong winds or heavy snow. It could still be a good way to test out tarp dimensions though.

Tony Mull

@tonymull

Locale: Western Washington

Better to use window shrink material. The one for patio sliders is big. Tougher material, similar weight and less than $10 at HD or Lowes.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

I would totally go the window insulation route. The material is already pre-cut to a nice good size (I think some manufactures differ in size so be sure to check them all out). It includes double sided tape that you use to reinforce the perimeter edge and all you need is a couple of washers to put inside the tape tie-outs and you're done. I can make one of these in the time it takes me to drink a beer.

I've made a couple thread about this tarp setup in the past so may e check those out when you have some time. Mine are all holding up fine after many uses.

Happy tarping!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools