Topic

Windshirts $22 at REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Windshirts $22 at REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Attention newcomers to UL backpacking; a "windshirt" is a versitle part of a clothing layering system. You might have read about their usefulness already here on the forums.
    If you are not ready to drop $100 on a pertex version, or a Houdini, here is one you might consider for only $22. All sizes available.

It has no DWR, so plan on spraying on your own for a few bucks extra. I do not have any experience with this particular model. Ideally a windshirt is air permeable; I really don't know if this one is. But returns at REI are always possible.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&productId=48157315&parent_category_rn=22638576

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

No experience w/that jacket. Just read the description though. For twenty bucks sounds 'ok'. Please, note, however, that it is probably NOT going to be very breathable. Why do i say this? Two reasons: 1) "polyurethane coating" 2) "good for light to moderate aerobic activity"

As long as this is clearly understood going in, then it might not be twenty bucks well wasted. NOT all activities are high exertion, aerobic activities that require a great deal of breathability. Just recognize the potential limitations goin' in, that's all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good point, PJ, about the breathability of the jacket due to the coating. I bought its precursor several years ago and it is a virtual sauna while engaged in physical activity. The same seems to be true with my new Ion jacket from OR. However the mfgr said that if the Ion is washed a few times the coating would flake off and breathability would correspondingly increase. My favorite wind jacket is the LL BEAN Mountain Anorak made with supplex nylon which is a tad heavier and does not scrunch down as small as the other two mentioned above.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I'd say don't waste your money. If you want a functional windshirt, bank your $22 and buy something better later. There are some good choices between $22 and $100.

A friend had one, and the thing doesn't breathe at all. And yet, paradoxically, it isn't very rain resistant either! The only redeeming factor (of the purchase, not the windshirt) was that he got the POS from REI — and was thus able to return it — which of course he did.

Gear makers like to charge as much as they can get away with. Sometimes, things are cheap for good reasons.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Thru Hiker has some Montane jackets you are better off dropping $22+ on IMO.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sierra Designs has been cranking these out for years. In fact it's probably some of the earlier lightweight gear made for the US market (don't quote me on that). It's a simple PU coated nylon shell. They are light and cheap, but they are sweaty. Water resistance is good, but the seams aren't taped or otherwise sealed, so it's a kind of "what's the point" design. I keep one in my auto emergency kit– bought in a thrift store for $3.

There are a lot of athletic-style warm-up/windbreakers that you can find in discount stores like Ross or Marshalls, or Burlington Coat Factory that are about the same weight and price, but more breathable. If you want it all– weight and performance, Montane is it. There are a bunch on Ebay right now– that's where I got a Lightspeed. Do go up one size for US sizing.

Helly Hansen, Patagonia, and Outdoor Research all make some version of an UL windshirt, but none are as versatile as the Montane and most are higher priced too. No free lunch!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools