Topic

Fabric glue for Climashield insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fabric glue for Climashield insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob Jackson

@bojax

I finished a 5oz climashield/momentum quilt using materials from thruhiker.com. The quilt turned out great, but one thing I don't like is the way the insulation is relatively unattached to the fabric (I attached it with diagonal seams at all four corners). I don't think yarn loops look very good and I experimented with sewing one inch lines at regular intervals, but this turned out to be quite hard to do and bunched up the insulation as well. Has anyone experimented with fabric glue to bond the insulation to the fabric? I took a look at the Mt Hardware lamina bags in the store the other day, and this was what they did. The insulation free floating inside the bag is not such a big deal, but I feel like its not very secure when stuffing in a stuffsack. Thanks for any info!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Can you just sew all around the perimeter? Through both fabric faces and insulation? Maybe 1 inch or 1/2 inch from edge of insulation?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Full perimeter sewing (not just the corners) is more than sufficient to stabilize the Insulation. Gluing may work (I know the big guys use a spray glue) but for making one at home it just isn't needed. Also I would wonder what it would do to breath ability.

-Tim

Bob Jackson

@bojax

Thanks guys! I like the idea of using newspaper to make perimeter stitching easier. I'd still like to experiment with using thin strips of glue to hold the insulation in place. Wouldn't affect the breathability and would be a lot easier than stitching. Then you could just close the edges with grosgrain. It'd just be a matter of finding the right glue and making sure it didn't discolor or bleed into the fabric material.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools