Topic

Question re: water filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Question re: water filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I will be up in the Pecos Wilderness next week and a friend is bringing an MSR Autoflow gravity filter for the group. This filter doesn't kill viruses (.2 micron.) I don't like to rely on other's gear and I don't want to risk getting sick. I'm planning on taking chlorine dioxide tabs anyway.. Am I being too cautious??
    Thanks!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Nothing wrong with that. I don't know how well you trust your friend to properly care for that filter system to ensure that it put out clean water, or the rest of the group to make sure it stays that way, so chemicals aren't a terrible idea.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

He bought a new filter for this trip, but my concern was the fact it doesn't kill viruses. I realize it would be extremely rare to have a waterborne virus in that location. To my knowledge all waterborne viruses are from human fe(es (oops,profanity) of someone infected with the virus.

I guess I was just curious, since I plan on taking my tablets as a backup and just wasn't sure if it would be ok to not use them as long as the filter functioned :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools