Topic

Can’t decide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can’t decide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

So I am finally upgrading my rain jacket to something lighter then 2 lbs. I was looking at the Marmot Super Mica, Mica, and Essence. Does anyone out there in BPL land have experience with any of these? I know I could always go the frogg toggs route but just thought I would get a concensus from you folks. I'm up for alternatives but would prefer 9oz or less. A little info about me is I get cold really easy due to Raynaud's so I start getting cold at around 55-60 degrees. I'm heading out to Montana at the end of the month for some backpacking and just wanted to be prepared for weather. Anyone with knowledge of those climates any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kevin

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Look a REI's Kimtah light eVent parka.

I have one and love it. I got it in XL instead of L because I want to wear my light down jacket beneath it without getting restriction in the sleeves. It works great that way for cold temps to 15 F.

Try to wait for a 20% sale.

BTW, my Eddie Bauer down jacket is in my avatar photo.

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Looking for something lighter. Thanks though.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

On trails rain jackets tend to get nicks in them from the brush in the NE. Driducks have ~the best~ breath-ability of any rain jacket I've ever had and @ $20 for top and bottom it's a cheap experiment for you. Gl!

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Will they hold up to 40-60mph winds? How I'm also looking for a wind jacket under 5 ounces.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

On Bryce's comment. If you know your gonna be off-trail a lot, then look for something else.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Marmot nano is a gortex paclite shell for 8 oz in medium. Very basic, 2 pockets, no pit zips (bummer), but gets the job done and seems a bit more durable than the mica.
    As for wind shirt, I'm a big fan of the stoic wraith. 2.5 oz if I remember right, and it goes on sale for as cheap as $30 sometimes.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

The Mountain Hardwear Quasar is on sale at Campsaver.com for 50% off. I just ordered one. Supposed to be 9 oz. and really breathable (rumor is that it is rebranded eVent).

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

I'm leaning toward this Marmot Trail Wind Hoody at campsaver.com

http://www.campsaver.com/trail-wind-hoody-men-s

for the price I think it may be worth it. But I would be up for some other options.

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Los Padres National Forest is my stomping grounds and nothing can stand up to the chaparral here so I just go without rain gear and have a dry pair of clothes for camp if it's raining.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The marmot trail wind hoody will get soaked in no time that is why it is so cheap,and not as durable as most rain jackets.If you want a wind jacket in addition to a rain jacket the eddie bauer sirocco is on sale foe $25

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=38933

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

I understand that a wind jacket is not waterproof this is a whole other topic within this topic. How does the Trail Wind Hoody work as a wind jacket. It's on sale for $54 or less.

-Kevin

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

we must have been typing at the same time,I revised my post just before you posted with a $25 option for a windshirt.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Splitting hairs here, most off the shelf wind shirts (houdini, sirocco, trail wind, tachyon, etc…) perform well enough, they cut wind and breathe significantly better than a multi layer rain shell. If the Marmot trail wind is on sale, grab it, it will do the job just fine.

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Have you used the Trail wind Hoody?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the trail wind hoody has mediocre breathability … i own and use one

if you want real rain protection, a wind shirt is no substitute for a rain jacket … itll wet out in less than an hour of real rain

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

I plan on going with Dri-Ducks for rain gear but still want to get a wind jacket. I have heard rave reviews about the Houdini & Tachyon Anorak (mont-bell). Any opinions on those?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

go try it on from somewhere that has a no questions asked return policy …. everyone has different fit … and everyone has a different idea on what is "breathable" … go for a short hike, and if you like it THEN cut the tags

youll find plenty of people on the internet telling you to buy what they like … its what works for you that matters

that said the EB FA sirocco is 25$ an essentially a riskless purchase as you can return it anytime no questions asked to EB … go to yr nearest EB store and try it on

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I've tried the Trailwind on, it fit well enough. The EB Sirocco as well, is light and fits me, but I didn't like the color availability. The Houdini sold me on overall fit and breathability, plus it came in black- I am happy with the Houdini's performance, it does what its supposed to do well. The Montbell Tachyon was my previous windshell and it worked exceptionally well at cutting wind, but didn't breathe as efficiently in my experience as my Houdini, which I occasionally run in. The Tachyon is also a pullover, so that may not be your cup o tea.

Like Eric said, the $29 Sirocco is almost a no brainer and has zero risk investment. Don't like it? Return it. Fails? Return it.

Chris Ruis

@tinker

North Face. Verto. 3oz.

Antigravity Gear Rain Jacket. 4.8 oz.

These are not bomb proof but they work. That is what you want.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Like Anna said the Sirocco is $25

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools